SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By NickJensen
I have both Olimex's Tiny & their F1611 development board. I'm using Rowley's crossworks system. Initially everything seemed to work fine. After about two weeks I start having problems with Rowley no longer able to connect at times. It gives me the message "Can't connect to target: Could not initialize device interface".

Initially I could unplug the Tiny, wait until XP gave the disconnect tones and then replug it back it in. Then it would work for a couple hours. But after a while when I disconnect the USB cable, I no longer get the disconnect tones or do I get them when I plug it back in. I've also downloaded and installed the very latest drivers but the symptoms remain the same.

This problem is very similar to a couple other instances of Tiny - F1611 troubles posted previously: viewtopic.php?t=2364&highlight=olimex+tiny

Anyone else have this problem and discover a solution or work around?

Thanks,

Nick
By OLIMEX
Hi,
all I can say is that his combination works perfectly with IARs EW-MSP430
you can load the free kickstart version and check
Tsvetan
By NickJensen
It starts up ok with the IAR system but after running a short while (maybe 5-10minutes), the IAR system also looses the ability to communicate with the Tiny. If I bring up the Rowley system it also can't see the Tiny at that point.

I brought up System/DeviceManger and when I double click on the "MSP430 JTAG Tiny" driver it says everything is operating fine.

I unplugged the Tiny and got the XP disconnect tones.

I go into the System/DeviceManager screen and when I double click on the "MSP430 JTAG Tiny" driver I get the following in the Device Status box as it should be:

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

But when I plug it back in, XP DOES NOT give me the USB connected tones and the Device Status remains as above with XP thinking it is NOT connected although it is. Something either in the TINY or the driver is failing or getting into a state that prevents it from communicating.

Rebooting first and then plugging the Tiny in DOESN’T help XP recoginize it.

And of course the Tiny driver does not show up in the Device Manager list either at that point.

Not sure what it takes to get it to again start behaving again. Suspect it is just time - like leaving it sit over night. Possibly charge slowly bleeds off enough?

But the problem might be difficult to diagnose as it can operate so normally for a while.
By OLIMEX
Hi,
please try another computer/cable!
Tsvetan