SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By omerd29
Hello,

I'm using MSP430F5131 and trying to program it by IAR Embedded Workbench while using the MSP-FET debugger.

A short background of the PCB:
After i compiled the code in IAR with not errors found , i connected the MSP-FET to the MSP430 in a Spi-Bi-Wire connection according to the datasheet.
The MSP430 is placed in a PCB which includes 12V input voltage and 2 regulators of 5V and 3.3V . The MSP430 I/O's are connected according to the datasheet (including external pullup resistors and capacitors) along with the Spi-Bi-Wire connections.
I energized the PCB with a 12V supply voltage , connected the MSP-FET's connector to a Header connector on the PCB and the other side connected to the PC by USB.

My problem is :
In the IAR , once i try to download the code into the MSP430 (by clicking the 'Download and Debug' button) it says that it needs a firmware update , so i clicked ok and download the new update , but when it tries to initialize hardware i encounter the error :

"Fatal error: Could not find device (or device not supported)

Session aborted!"

I have tried multiple things in order to find the solution - with no success .

Does the AVcc and AVss needs to be connected even if i dont use any analog options? coz its not connected to anything.

I also tried to download the program to the MSP430 with code composer studio but encounter the same error.

It pops the same error even if i dont connect the MSP-FET to the MCU at all (it is only connected to the PC by a USB cable).

I have connected the MSP-FET to the MCU that way:

- RST/NMI/SBWTDIO of the MCU to TDO/TDI pin 1 of the MSP-FET.
- TEST/SBWTCK of the MCU to TCK pin 7 of the MSP-FET.
- a 3.3V that is supplied from a regulator in the PCB to VCC_TOOL pin 2 of the MSP-FET.
- GND of the PCB to GND pin 9 of the MSP-FET.

thanks.