SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By mrpacket
Hi!

I'm new here! I read the "How to ask questions the smart way", but please excuse any faux pas.

I have been attempting to JTAG from a TIAO TUMPA pod to an ar9331 m150 wifi, using openocd 0.8.0 on Ubuntu. I compiled the openocd code, configured the USB drivers, etc. and am loading the TUMPA manufacturer's tumpa.cfg file, and a questionable ar9331.cfg target file. With a -d 3 startup of openocd, everything looks groovy. But when I go to attach to openocd using "telnet localhost 4444" I don't get a prompt, or any response. The telnet session connects, but openocd does not talk. My TUMPA card and drivers look good! I can use the UART on the TUMPA module, and talk to a UART on a router! But I get no response from openocd. The openocd startup shows the reading of my JTAG and target config files, with the final lines looking like this:

Debug: 226 254 core.c:321 jtag_call_event_callbacks(): jtag event: TAP reset
Debug: 227 256 core.c:1046 jtag_examine_chain(): DR scan interrogation for IDCODE/BYPASS
Debug: 228 256 core.c:321 jtag_call_event_callbacks(): jtag event: TAP reset
Debug: 613 197577 log.c:422 keep_alive(): keep_alive() was not invoked in the 1000ms timelimit (1309). This may cause trouble with GDB connections.
Debug: 1002 396355 log.c:422 keep_alive(): keep_alive() was not invoked in the 1000ms timelimit (1192). This may cause trouble with GDB connections.

Anyone ever experienced symptoms like this? Web searches simply imply that if openocd starts, then you can connect using telnet and get a prompt. I don't see my scenario mentioned anywhere. Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks,
Mr. Packet
By hsutherl
Hi Mr. Packet, apologies for the belated response.

You should proably repost this in the openocd section.

Not sure if I've had openocd fail to respond on telnet. Quite rare anyways.

I'm not familiar with any of your hardware but the top hit in my search for "ar9331 openocd" has a .cfg with a moderately long reset-init defined. If yours is similar, you might try a .cfg file with the entire $TARGETNAME configure -event reset-init { block removed. If openocd then responds via telnet, you can add back the block as a function and try calling it manually. If that causes openocd to hang, you're ready to troubleshoot. -Hugh