SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By cheesy
I was able to use the TI EZ430 fine, but haven't gotten my new parallel port MSP430-JTAG to work. Which pins are required? I assume it doesn't support Spy-Bi-Wire.

I'm using the MSP430F2013 chips.
By Philba
if the ez430 works ok, why not use that? I made a wire harness using a 50 mil socket that plugs into the main dongle and the other goes into a connector on my PCB (I use 100 mil header).

mouser carries the socket though you have to buy a row of 50. it is snappable.
By OLIMEX
parallel port MSP430-JTAG can't support spy-bi-wire as PC port can't made the timing necessary for programing

only MSP430-TNY and MSP430-ISO support SBW.

Tsvetan
By cheesy
Philba wrote:if the ez430 works ok, why not use that? I made a wire harness using a 50 mil socket that plugs into the main dongle and the other goes into a connector on my PCB (I use 100 mil header).

mouser carries the socket though you have to buy a row of 50. it is snappable.
Well, the EZ430 DID work...I was impatient and tried soldering wires directly to the dongle. That's why I got the other one.
By cheesy
OLIMEX wrote:parallel port MSP430-JTAG can't support spy-bi-wire as PC port can't made the timing necessary for programing

Tsvetan
Ok, so I see where TDO, TDI, TMS, TCK, RST/NMI, TEST/VPP (and GND of course) all go but I'm not clear about VCC_IN, VCC_OUT. Does VCC_IN go to a (~3V?) source and VCC_OUT go to the VCC pin on the uC?

I think I may have fried the programmer anyway (hopefully not my parallel port...) :cry:
By leon_heller
Have a look at some of the MSP430 board schematics on the Olimex web site. You should see what to do with the supplies.

Leon
By Shread
parallel port MSP430-JTAG can't support spy-bi-wire as PC port can't made the timing necessary for programing

Tsvetan
Look at slau138c.pdf(page 36), and you will see, than your are not right!

By OldCow
The connection diagram Leon quoted is correct. However, it works only if
both (a) the JTAG-Tool and (B) the target MSP430 chip support Spy-Bi-Wire.

Tsvetan was right.
By liyapunov
What are MSP430-TNY and MSP430-ISO?

I cannot find any of them on TI.com.

Can anyone tell me if MSP-FET430U14 works for bi-wire?
By MGP
liyapunov wrote:What are MSP430-TNY and MSP430-ISO?

I cannot find any of them on TI.com.
That would be because those part numbers are for Olimex's JTAG tools. Sparkfun sells both of them.
liyapunov wrote:Can anyone tell me if MSP-FET430U14 works for bi-wire?
I believe that's the part number for TI's USB JTAG pod? If so, it does support Spy-Bi-Wire and the regular 4-wire JTAG protocols.
By johngineer
Just my opinion, but I think the need to use a jumper and the layout of the target (beyond a pinout that's not connected to anything) should be mentioned in the documentation for the programmer itself. It shouldn't be necessary to explore other OLIMEX docs to discover this information. Granted, once you realize what is going on, the whole thing is simple enough, but it ought to be explained in the documentation for the programmer.

"VCC_IN" and "VCC_OUT" don't tell you much.