SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
I bought the MSP430-EasyWeb 3 board and I test its build in uIP stack program at 192.168.0.30 and it is ok..
it shows temp and port 6 status...

I want to save this program in my computer for in case if i need back, i can download back to the microcontroller,
is it possible? i think it is written with mspgcc, i have to read back with mspgcc or other such as with rowley, can i save this program

because i have to delete this build in program to try my program, i want to save it if possible and also i want to see the code of this sample program if i can.

pls help me!
By OldCow
With JTAG, it is possible to read back the content of MSP430Fxx FLASH and save that as a file in your computer. This file is just a hex dump, not very interesting for reading. But it can be downloaded back to the MSP430Fxx with JTAG.

The document and the C source code of EasyWeb version 1.1 (2004) can be found at the TI web site. The file names are "slaa137a.pdf" and "slaa137a.zip" respectively. They are in the Application Notes section of MSP430. I am not sure, but I think what you have may be version 1.0 (2001).
By nyt
thanks for ur reply, oldcow

If possible, may i know how can i read back and save it as a file and write(download) back to the board if i need

how can i do..

yes i have both slaa137.zip and slaa137.pdf but really, i don't know how to use the codes in slaa137.zip , I think these have to compile and use with mspgcc. I don't know mspgcc
I am only trying my board with Rowley's crosswork. so I want to save the existing program before i try with Rowley.

Regards,
By OldCow
I use a very old JTAG tool from TI called MSP-PRGS430. With the software that came with it, I can (a) read the FLASH inside any MSP430Fxx and write the hex dump into a PC file, (b) erase part or all the FLASH, (c) write the FLASH according to a hex dump file, (e) verify that the FLASH agrees with the hex dump file, and (f) blow the security fuse (after that, the JTAG on that particular MSP430Fxx chip will not work any more).

You are using a newer JTAG tool and I do not know how to operate that. Perhaps you can ask Olimex?

The two files slaa137.* you have are probably of 2001 vintage. The 2004 versions are called slaa137a.*. (When still newer versions come out, they will be called slaa137b.*, slaa137c.*, etc.) They assume that you are using IAR compiler. But it should not be difficult to change over to Rowley or mspgcc. C is C, right?

I am currently using IAR under Windows. I would like to use mspgcc under Linux but not mspgcc under Windows. I call Windows a “Software Challenged Systemâ€