SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By ihwild345
Good Evening everyone,

I'm seriously new at all of this. I got the launchpad recently. I'd like to learn how to program it and see what all I can get it to do. I'm sure I could eventually figure it out from all the code examples. but is there anywhere I can get all the instructions and syntax for writing the code? I've never programmed a microcontroller this way. I'm familiar with electronics and can build basic circuits and have soldered and assembled entire motherboard size circuits. Anyone have any good advice on how to start on this. My first project I want to actually do is a emergency vehicle light bar flasher. But it doesn't have to be the first project I attempt it's just a project that I'm intending on doing. I also want to power a small motor about the size of a pager vibrating motor in a similar purpose project.

Rich
By fll-freak
1) Download the user's manual for the part family from TI
2) Download the specific chip datasheet from TI
3) Download the sample code for your chip family from TI
4) Start downloading Application Notes about things related to your project.
5) Decide between the various languages. Assembler, C with IAR, C with CC, or the GNU toolchain.
6) Go out and buy a copy of "MSP430 Microcontroller Basics" by john H. Davies.
7) Join the MSP430 Yahoo group
8) Read all the above
9) Re-Read all the above
10) Reproduce the blinking light sensor. Can to compile and download it? Can you change the blink rate? Can you tie the blink to something else (perhaps a button press)?
By ihwild345
fll-freak wrote:1) Download the user's manual for the part family from TI
5) Decide between the various languages. Assembler, C with IAR, C with CC, or the GNU toolchain.
8) Read all the above
9) Re-Read all the above
10) Reproduce the blinking light sensor. Can to compile and download it? Can you change the blink rate? Can you tie the blink to something else (perhaps a button press)?

Sometime after I posted the question. I found the MSP430 C Complier Programming Guide pdf file. I say sometime because I fell asleep somewhere in there. I have downloading some of the code examples just haven't figured them out yet. I saw that book in the store the other day. I was wondering if it would help or not or just be full of information that I could find on the internet for free. I will check the yahoo group out. Oh and my boss who is transferring has the same last name as you.
Thanks for the list.
Rich
By fll-freak
Most of what is in the book you can find on the internet, But the book outs it all in one place. I own two copies. One for work the other for home. My one copy had been getting very dog eared from going back and forth.

The sample code for the temperature-blinking light program is on the CD. See if you can make a tiny tweak to it and see if you can get it downloads. This would be a good first step (after all the downloading and reading!).

Perhaps I am your boss <evil crakling>
By Bellmar
I'm going to recommend buying an e-copy of the book. The pdf has useful chapter and topic references that allow you to quickly flip through the book. Also you can carry it with you anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/MSP430-Microcontr ... B001FA0H4S

Also, since your playing with the launchpad, check out http://www.simpleavr.com. He has some fun stuff up there.

Happy Tinkering
Bellmar
By ihwild345
Bellmar wrote:I'm going to recommend buying an e-copy of the book. The pdf has useful chapter and topic references that allow you to quickly flip through the book. Also you can carry it with you anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/MSP430-Microcontr ... B001FA0H4S

Also, since your playing with the launchpad, check out http://www.simpleavr.com. He has some fun stuff up there.

Happy Tinkering
Bellmar
I think I'm going to get that Ebook. Especially at the lower cost.

Thanks
Rich
By ihwild345
fll-freak wrote:1) Download the user's manual for the part family from TI
8) Read all the above
9) Re-Read all the above

If I was going to get a C programming book would I get one that is C++ or C#?

Rich
By fll-freak
C++ is an object oriented extension to C
C# is an object oriented interpreted language.
C is the original language used in millions of embedded applications.

As Leon said, if you want to program in C buy a book on C.
By Bellmar
I would get "The C Programming Language (ANSI C)" by Kernigham and Ritchie.
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Langu ... pd_sim_b_4
It has long been considered by many as the best book for learning C. However, there are alot of books out there lots of online resources, so you have many options. I provided the above link to show you what book I'm talking about. Obviously you can buy it from many places.

There are lots of good tutorials online that walk you through learning C++, but I have yet to see something like that for C.

Hopefully more will chime in with their recommendations.

Happy Tinkering
Bellmar
By jcup2306
There is some really good information on http://www.ti.com/launchpadwiki including getting started videos and how-tos for the example code. I recommend going there before committing months to reading those two books. They can make you an expert, but if all you want to do if make a couple projects, then you should be able to get the gist of it from the wiki, the User Guide, and the code examples.
By ihwild345
Thanks everyone. Has soon as I'm done with some house projects I'm going to get a lot more involved in all the reading I have listed for me. Anyone have any recommendations on equipment/tools one should have available or parts laying around for prototyping and playing around?
I have a good multimeter, a few wall warts I can cannibalize, a breadboard, a adjustable soldering station (at work), a variable power supply at work and a couple of small tools.
I plan on doing most of my playing with leds for now and small motors. I do want to build a DC speed control for a electric wheelchair scooter frame I have. The control board is potentially fried.

Also any suggestions on books or search keywords for learning troubleshooting skills when looking at an established circuit ( ie something broke and you want to fix it) I do trouble shoot on motor controllers and other analog electrical equipment and figuring out when an electronic device is malfunctioning but not to component level yet. But I'd like to learn

Rich
By ihwild345
I just wanted to mention another source for learning programming and other stuff from. Itunes university and direct opencourseware from multiple colleges. Both allow acess to previously held courses that have been recorded and are offered free to the public. Of course no college credit but the knowledge is still there.

Rich
By voodoofish
Two sites I recommend are http://www.43oh.com and http://mspsci.blogspot.com/2010/07/tuto ... arted.html

The latter has some great info on getting started and understanding the system.

I recommend checking out the resources that are on the ti site related to the launchpad as well as the chips that you are using. There are a couple that go through coding style which is important in this chip as it's meant for low power use. Learn to use the irq's to make it all happen is the way it seems to work.

As I side, I just started with this the launchpad kit about a month ago and have enjoyed it quite a bit. As it's something that I do in my spare time, and that seems a bit limited these days, I haven't done too much with it.... I recently started playing around with a 74hc595 chip initially finding some source related to bit banging(making some nice flashy led stuff), then this weekend converted that setup to use the HW SPI (USI module on a F2012 which was an additional purchase with the launchpad kits). It's quite simple to do once you start working with it.
By ihwild345
voodoofish wrote:Two sites I recommend are http://www.43oh.com and http://mspsci.blogspot.com/2010/07/tuto ... arted.html

The latter has some great info on getting started and understanding the system.

I recommend checking out the resources that are on the ti site related to the launchpad as well as the chips that you are using. There are a couple that go through coding style which is important in this chip as it's meant for low power use. Learn to use the irq's to make it all happen is the way it seems to work.

As I side, I just started with this the launchpad kit about a month ago and have enjoyed it quite a bit. As it's something that I do in my spare time, and that seems a bit limited these days, I haven't done too much with it.... I recently started playing around with a 74hc595 chip initially finding some source related to bit banging(making some nice flashy led stuff), then this weekend converted that setup to use the HW SPI (USI module on a F2012 which was an additional purchase with the launchpad kits). It's quite simple to do once you start working with it.
What would you say the launchpad board and micro controller chips they support are most comparable to?

Rich