SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By chromatech
New to MSP430,

I have a JTAG connector (Parallel) and I'm connecting it to MSP430.
However, when powered it says that it cannot establish connection to the microcontroller.

I'm not too sure what needs to be connected to the MSP in order to make it work.

For example for PIC I need a resistor across the MCLR pin going to ground.

Is there something like that in this case?
I have a regulated 3.3V supplying it with power.

Thanks.
By leon_heller
chromatech wrote:New to MSP430,

I have a JTAG connector (Parallel) and I'm connecting it to MSP430.
However, when powered it says that it cannot establish connection to the microcontroller.

I'm not too sure what needs to be connected to the MSP in order to make it work.

For example for PIC I need a resistor across the MCLR pin going to ground.

Is there something like that in this case?
I have a regulated 3.3V supplying it with power.

Thanks.
Here is a design of mine that works with the FET:

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/msp430.html

The schematic isn't all that clear, but you should be able to make out the connections.

Leon
By chromatech
very nice,

thanks for the link.

What keeps bothering me is that 33k on Test.

I've been looking at many schematics, and some of them have that resistor and some don't. Don't understand why.

Also I have MSP430F1222 , do you think it would be the same with that resistor as well RST.

The JTAG I have is from TI and I've been reading their datasheet for it, but I'm also trying to do my own research on this MCU.
By leon_heller
I'm quite sure that that 33K is needed. It should be 30k or less, but I don't have any through-hole 30k resistors. You could try leaving it off and seeing what happens.

Leon
By jayjay
Also take note of how you power the target board, is it powered by the JTAg or external supply.
By chromatech
that's another question.

which way is better? through the JTAG or though external.

i would think that external would be a little easier than the JTAG.
By jayjay
I would normally allow the target to be powered by the JTAG as it makes debugging easir without having to look for a battery, at the same time if the target's current cunsumption is high, I would power it from an external source.