SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By abasir
The first time I connected JTAG-Tiny, all went very well. I was able to program and debug the development board I had (previously programmed using parallel port JTAG).

That was last Friday evening. This morning, to continue my work, I reconnected the JTAG-Tiny but nothing happen. Crossworks did not detect the interface. I uninstall the driver hoping that XP will redetect the JTAG-Tiny but to no avail. Hardware manager does not show any USB or COM device relating to JTAG-Tiny. I tried on another notebook but again nothing happen when JTAG-Tiny is connected.

What can I do now? I really hope it's not JTAG-Tiny hardware failure because it'll take a month to resolve, 2-weeks for me to send the unit to Spark Fun and another two weeks for the shipment to arrive from Spark Fun to Malaysia :-{

Anyway for me to fix this or test where the failure is?
By OLIMEX
please try to another computer
if MSP430-JTAG-TINY is not detected there you may burned it somehow
if MSP430-JTAG-TINY is detected you should just re-install the drivers on your first computer
Tsvetan
By abasir
Tried on two other computers. Same result :(
Arranging replacement with Spark Fun :cry:
By sparky
Yea - we'll take a look at it. First problem we've ever heard of.

-Nathan
By tveilleux
I have the same problem with the JTAG-TINY not being re-detected. I really cannot see why this would be happening. Any more reports have come in since february ?

- Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux
By OLIMEX
can you provide more information?
how do you connect it? what is your target schematic etc?
software? os? cables? power supply?

just your product doesn't work feed back doesn't bear any useful information for us so we can't help you

Tsvetan
By tveilleux
OLIMEX wrote:can you provide more information?
how do you connect it? what is your target schematic etc?
software? os? cables? power supply?

just your product doesn't work feed back doesn't bear any useful information for us so we can't help you
Windows XP SP2 on an Athlon 800MHz with 768MB RAM.

When I connected the MSP430-JTAG-TINY, I installed the drivers and it worked. After programming two parts with it, I disconnected it. When I reconnected it several minutes later, it wouldn't get recognized by Windows. I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and reinstalled them. Same thing. I have used an USB bus monitor to check the connection status and it seems that the device is never talking to windows, or to the USB root device for that matter. It simply seems that it is dead. The LED is turned on, but I suspect the LED does not give info about proper connection.

I have tried connecting it on:

* The USB port on the computer
* On a USB hub connected to a PCI USB card
* On the PCI USB card

I have also tried it on two other computers in the lab, both with Windows XP SP2 and none of them even ask for the driver install. The device seems dead.

Best Regards,

Tennessee Carmel-Veilleux
By OLIMEX
I can't suggest anything than to send it back to us for checking it

Tsvetan