SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By pmlonline
A newbie question:

I'm using sparkfun MSP430F169 LCD dev board ( http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=772 ) and the $15 jtag parallel port programmer, and mspgcc on Windows XP. It appears the leds example code successfully compiled and uploaded. The mcu dev board power red led is on. The only time that red led comes on is when msp430-gdbproxy is running. So does this mean the leds example program is executing when the red power led is on? Don't get me wrong. I understand the leds example code does not control the red led power light. I'm just trying to figure out if the power from parallel port is sufficient to power this MSP430F169 LCD dev board, and also trying to figure how to execute the leds example code on the dev board.

Regards,
Paul
By leon_heller
MSP430 chips are very low power devices and I found that they can often be powered from a parallel port programmer.
By pmlonline
I found out what it meant by typing continue instead of run. First run msp430-gdb. Then while inside msp430-gdb, type continue or c.

Now my problem is finding the this gdb.ini that they keep talking about. It did not come with my mspgcc package, so I created gdb.ini and entered the text they said to put in it. I then made copies of gdb.ini in every place, but msp430-gdb still does not load it.

It sure would be nice if there was at least some basic 101 documents telling how to get this mcu dev board to run. The sparkfun package came with no instructions. The website gives a few links, but there's so much missing. What a shame because it's such a nice mcu dev board.

Paul
By gm
I would use the IAR Kickstart to get going as almost all the example code will compile on this platform. That way you can get started working with the MSP430 instead of futzing around trying to get the mspgcc compiler enviroment set up.

HTH,

gm
By pmlonline
Are there any issues with turning off the PC computer while the JTAG (and MCU dev board) are still connected to the PC parallel port?
By theatrus
If you don't want debug support (blink LEDs won't need it), you can try the included msp430-jtag program. This will allow you to program the device without having to use GDB.

Are you powering the board externally?

Do you have the JTAG still connected? I would suggest disconnecting it when not plugged into the computer - it might be holding the device in reset.

I assume you have the parallel port JTAG working? They were always temperamental for me - I now always use the official TI JTAG unit.
By pmlonline
pmlonline wrote:Now my problem is finding the this gdb.ini that they keep talking about. It did not come with my mspgcc package, so I created gdb.ini and entered the text they said to put in it. I then made copies of gdb.ini in every place, but msp430-gdb still does not load it.
Well this is getting fun. I found this error as well. It turns out that whoever is compiling msp430-gdb for the windows version somehow got the compile flag set back to unix. In the unix version of msp430-gdb it loads .gdbinit as the .ini file. Well that's an illegal file name in windows, so I guess the original coders never thought msp430-gdb would be ported to windows.

Anyhow, in the gdb documentation it says the windows version of msp430-gdb loads gdb.ini. It does not, or at least the newest version of msp430-gdb does not. So you have to use a hex editor to edit msp430-gdb.exe to change .gdbinit to gdb.ini. :roll:

Regards,
Paul
By pmlonline
theatrus wrote:If you don't want debug support (blink LEDs won't need it), you can try the included msp430-jtag program. This will allow you to program the device without having to use GDB.
I have in the past successfully used msp430-jtag to upload the code to the mcu, but how do you run the mcu program without gdb?

theatrus wrote:Are you powering the board externally? Do you have the JTAG still connected? I would suggest disconnecting it when not plugged into the computer - it might be holding the device in reset.
So far the mcu dev board is always connected to the jtag, which is connected to the parallel port. That lights the power LED, so I'm not sure if it requires an external power supply. Besides, I don't even see where to plug in an external power supply on this dev board. Any ideas?

theatrus wrote:I assume you have the parallel port JTAG working? They were always temperamental for me - I now always use the official TI JTAG unit.
Yes, it's working. In gdb I can step through the code, run it, set break points, etc.

Regards,
Paul
By theatrus
I have in the past successfully used msp430-jtag to upload the code to the mcu, but how do you run the mcu program without gdb?
Once flashed, simply powering up the device will cause the code to run, as any modern CPU performs a power-on-reset.
So far the mcu dev board is always connected to the jtag, which is connected to the parallel port. That lights the power LED, so I'm not sure if it requires an external power supply. Besides, I don't even see where to plug in an external power supply on this dev board. Any ideas?
It doesn't require it if the P_IN jumper is set (JTAG supplies power). You can however provide power to the VIN pin on the headers from the looks of the schematic. There is a voltage regulator on board, giving you more flexibility in supply voltages.
By pmlonline
Thanks for help! After I find a way of toggling the status LED or displaying something on the LCD, then I'll try powering it without the jtag in order to see if it's running code.

BTW, if anyone's interested, I converted the makefile so it works for microsoft nmake. So all one has to do now in the dos window is type nmake. ... Now if I could only figure out how to get mfc to run the code and step through it via gdb, but that sounds like a challenge not worth trying.

Regards,
Paul
By pmlonline
I was now able to get a program to run via gdb that blinks the status LED. Although the program will not run unless both msp430-gdb and msp430-gdbproxy are running. So the next and final step is to look at the board schematic to figure out how to power the mcu dev board so it can be disconnected from the jtag. Hopefully the program will execute when it's powered up.

Regards,
Paul
By pmlonline
This seems a bit odd. In order to power the mcu dev board without the jtag you need to tap into the Vin pin on EXT2 connector and the Gnd pin on EXT1 connector. This dev board was not meant to be powered by itself?
By pmlonline
gm wrote:I would use the IAR Kickstart to get going as almost all the example code will compile on this platform. That way you can get started working with the MSP430 instead of futzing around trying to get the mspgcc compiler enviroment set up.

HTH,

gm

I just tried IAR Kickstart. Sparkfun gives a zip file that contains IAR Kickstart project demo code. So I tried the LCD example, and it gave a nasty heap size error. Fortunately other people have had the same error, and someone came up with a fix. Albeit, a weird fix.

So it compiles now. Next problem is IAR Kickstart can't connect to my MSP-JTAG parallel port programmer. So I went into options for the fet debugger and it doesn't seem to support this jtag programmer. In fact it only supports 2 USB and 2 parallel port programmers. I give up on this stuff, man! I'll just stick with gdb. At least it's working now.

Regards,
Paul