SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By SkeletonJack
Hello all,

I need some help setting up the above configuration.
I'm running Windows 2000, the JTAG-TINY is plugged into a USB port and into the JTAG connector of the MSP430F149 header board.

I installed "IAR Embedded Workbench KickStart for MSP430 V3". Also installed the Olimex Jtag-Tiny driver, and copied the DLLs (msp430.dll + two others) to the Workbensh's bin folder.

I built the "Flashing the LED" example.
If I go to Project -> Options -> FET Debugger in the ide, the "TI USB FET" Connection is set by default (without me selecting it), so I assume it was detected.
But when I want to download the program, I get the following error:
Sun Jan 29 15:59:32 2006: Failed to load debugee: D:\Programs\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 4.0\430\FET_examples\msp430x1xx\C-source\Debug\Exe\msp430x1xx (C).d43

And another questions: I also tried to download one of the examples (leds, modified) using mspgcc. That didn't work either. When I do 'make download-jtag' I get this output:
msp430-jtag -e leds.elf
MSP430 parallel JTAG programmer Version: 2.1
Cleaning up after error...
Reset and release device...

An error occoured:
Can't open interface
make: *** [download-jtag] Error 1

How exactly does Jtag-Tiny emulate the parallel interface ? Or is there a different way in mspgcc to download stuff through USB ?

Any help would be appreciated.
By OLIMEX
it must be something related to your projects settnigs
send us your project and we'll check
for mspgcc it should not work as you can see that it doesn't uses TINY but parallel port dongle (our MSP430.dll have support for all our three JTAGs - parallel port, Tiny and Iso)
Tsvetan