SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By jaded
hello all,

i'm a student of electronics engineering. i have to do a project on GPS(global positioning system) which is based on the MSP430f1xx processor. we'll be doing the coding for the device using "c" language. i need help on:
1) how to get started,
2)what to study as the basics in order to get a simple overall understanding of the processor,
3)basic instructions on how to understand the device and to work with it

i could do with help on any of the above...even a little good help will do.
i have not much experience with such things...except that i have used c++ to program stuff.so i'd be real glad if someone , anyone, could help me out with getting a good understanding of this thing.
thank you a lot ....in advance...

john. :D
By JohnLeung
Hi

1) how to get started:
If you want to know more about embedded programming and C, I would recommend two titles
Embedded C Programming and the Microchip PIC by Dr. Richard Barnett.
Embedded system building blocks, Ready-to-use modules in C, by Jean .J. Labrosse.
Unfortunately, none of these two books teach know-how on MSP series MCU, however, both of them gives a good start on embedded system programming in C. Personally, I love these books very much and use them a lot.

2)what to study as the basics in order to get a simple overall understanding of the processor:

For MSP series, there is only one-two books in Amazon. I have a few in Chinese (my language) and there are much more examples available. Those examples are truly working examples like interfacing a modem with MSP etc. I am going to translate those to English in the future.
However, study the data sheet and read those two English books may be the first thing to do.

3)basic instructions on how to understand the device and to work with it :
Nothing is much better doing. Get a development board and start experiments, I think.
That is what I am going to do!

John
By jaded
hey john...thank you...thank you for the valuable help...i'll do that...
we've already started the programming parts and i'm busy with studyin the registers and such works...initialising them, controlling the usarts ,etc. thats the most importand part of the msp were dealin with...the usarts

you workin on that too? or you jsut got started with it ? the c is kinda ok, coz i got a lil knowledge in c++. its understanding the working tat seems tough to understand.anyway, i really appreciate your help. thank you for that.keep in touch.
jaded
By huey
Jaded,

You should look at the code examples for the MSP430 on the TI web site. There are many examples of how to use the various peripherals using both C and assembler. Those and the User Guides should get you going.

HTH,

Greg