SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By JR
Hello,

i've a demoboard including a MSP430F449 from olimex.
See details: Olimex.com

On this page you can download a small test program to check out the functions of the display
LCD Code 2.0.zip

I´m using the IAR tool from http://www.iar.se

I solved the first problems and started compiling.

But i´m getting the follwing messages:
1)
After starting the debug session with
project->debug
"...Driver does not support code coverage..."

2)
If i try to start the debugging with
debug->go
"...Unable to execute: driver error..."
and in the disassembly window i see the green line with
00FFFF 0000 ????

If someone can give me an answer on this problem,
or is able to start the LCD-demo software i´ll be glad.

Thanks
JR
By JR
Refering to JAYs post
http://www.sparkfun.com/cgi-bin/phpbb/v ... =8663#8663

"
1.) Goto project options and ame sure you target device is the right chip
2.) On the debugger option, change from Simulator to FET debugger to be able to load the code onto the device via JTAG
3.) On some OS, the JTAG access confligts with Windows Print Spoller, so you can temprorily turn off the service by going to Control Panel >>Administratie Tools >> Services >> Print Spooler Services and stop it.
4.) The IAR Kickstart does not support code coverage, so you can ignore
the message.
"

Here are my answers:
I already did 1) and 2)
3) seems no problem
4) OK i´ll ignore in the future

Other codes are working fine as i have no problem with the code posted here:
http://www.sparkfun.com/cgi-bin/phpbb/v ... ?p=677#677

I just wonder why the code from Olimex does not work...

I thinks there´s a link to the messages i got when i start to debug it in the tartget:
Debug Log window: "...Unable to execute: driver error..."
Disassembly window: green line "00FFFF 0000 ????"

If i change my settings under
Project->Option->Debugger
and activate
[x] Run to: main

i´ll get the messages in the
Debug Log Window:
...Error: Operation error.
...: Couldn't go to 'main'.

Disassembly window stays the same:
green line "00FFFF 0000 ????"

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks
JR
By jayjay
Hi

>Do you have any other ideas?

Looks like you have already tried out most of the things! I vaguely remember once seeing the "..Unable to execute: driver error.." when I had replaced the msp430.dll for the parallel port version with a USB version. Did you make any switch between parallel fet to USB or otherwise replaced the msp430.dll?

Also make sure that your linked code contains the debug symbols. In Project>>Options

1.) C/C++ Compiler -> Output Tab -> Check Generate Debug Info
2.) Linker -> Output Tab -> Make sure C-Spy info is generated. Config Tab -> Check Linker Command File, Over Ride Default with ($TOOLKIT_DIR$\config\lnk430F449.xcl)
3.) Debugger -> Setup Tab -> Check override default device map and select the right file ($TOOLKIT_DIR$\config\msp430F449.ddf)
4.) Debugger->PlugIn Tab, Uncheck Code coverage to get rid of the warning

Sometimes, the debugger is a bit flaky and wont load my code+symbols properly, in such cases, I just do a Project>>Clean, rebuild and then load.

I am guessing the step 2 and/or 3 in bold should fix it. Hope this heps with your problem.

Cheers
Jay
By nmhai
jayjay wrote:Hi

>Do you have any other ideas?

Looks like you have already tried out most of the things! I vaguely remember once seeing the "..Unable to execute: driver error.." when I had replaced the msp430.dll for the parallel port version with a USB version. Did you make any switch between parallel fet to USB or otherwise replaced the msp430.dll?

Also make sure that your linked code contains the debug symbols. In Project>>Options

1.) C/C++ Compiler -> Output Tab -> Check Generate Debug Info
2.) Linker -> Output Tab -> Make sure C-Spy info is generated. Config Tab -> Check Linker Command File, Over Ride Default with ($TOOLKIT_DIR$\config\lnk430F449.xcl)
3.) Debugger -> Setup Tab -> Check override default device map and select the right file ($TOOLKIT_DIR$\config\msp430F449.ddf)
4.) Debugger->PlugIn Tab, Uncheck Code coverage to get rid of the warning

Sometimes, the debugger is a bit flaky and wont load my code+symbols properly, in such cases, I just do a Project>>Clean, rebuild and then load.

I am guessing the step 2 and/or 3 in bold should fix it. Hope this heps with your problem.

Cheers
Jay
I have problem same JR. I use MSP430F2274. I set Project>>Options follow above but debug error. when i use IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430 V4.10 have not problem but V5.10.4 have.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Hai