SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
My new MSP430-JTAG-ISO works great as a programmer tied to a PC but I have a problem when using it in standalone mode:

Loading the program on the flash of the programmer reports the successful green led status. However, when writing it to a new microcontroller (I'm using only MSP430F24181 devices for this purpose) I get a green led blinking after the initial pressing of the red button.

To be clear, the instructions on the sticker on the programmer states:

"if the internal memory contain code which is for MSP430 microcontroller different than the attached target MSP430 the GREEN LED will start blink for 5 seconds. If you want to program target MSP430 anyway you should press again any of the two buttons."

From the above, I understand that every time I put a new IC to be programmed, this one is considered different from the original I used to load the code on the Flash of the Programmer, because I'm getting the "green flashing warning".

Or was OLIMEX referring to a different model of the MSP? if this is the case, then I should not be getting the "green flashing warning" as a re-checked the printed identification on my ICs and they all are the same.

THE PROBLEM is that three different ICs I have tried so far in standalone mode get trapped on the while instruction on the next code (Code I borrowed from several TI's application notes):

// If calibration constants erased do not load, trap CPU!!
if (CALBC1_16MHZ ==0xFF || CALDCO_16MHZ == 0xFF) {
while(1);
}

From the above, the notorious part is that the IC does not contains the correct calibration data. Is it possible that MSP430-JTAG-ISO replaced that memory on the ICs with the ones of the initial IC?

If so, how can I correct those ICs?
And even more important, how can I prevent MSP430-JTAG-ISO to overwrite that info on the ICs? If this is not be possible, then the standalone mode of this device won't be useful with ICs factory calibrated, like the MSP430F2xxxx series. But maybe I'm missing something, let's hope so.

Any lights, would be very welcome.

Thank you!