SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By msp-newbie
Hi there. I've got a whole bunch of (probably) stupid questions to ask. I'm used to programming with PICs and LPC's, but these are totally new to me.

I've got the Olimex JTAG programmer and I've downloaded IAR kickstart. I'm fooling around with IAR and see how it debugs (I think). But is there a way to just import an executable to load onto the target without creating a new project? For example, something compiled from GCC? For that matter, what are the file extensions for MSP executables? I think .d43, is that right?

I've also tried connecting with msp430-gdbproxy, and it seems to connect and identify the target and say that it's listening on port 2000...then it doesn't take any other input from me.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. The learning curve looks to be straight up.
By jayjay
Hello

I am not sure if you just want to flash the hex/firmware into a MSP using the Olimex JTAG or intend to do debugging, if its the earlier, you can download a free tool called MSPFET from http://kurt.on.ufanet.ru/ it allows you to load binary into the MSP using the JTAG.

HTH
Jay