SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By mathema
I have been using the MSP430-JTAG (parallel port programmer) to program the MSP430-1121STK2 development board for the past couple of weeks without any problems. My development environment is Code Composer Essentials. I have successfully written several C programs to the chip and everything works fine.

I also have an MSP-EXP430F5438 Experimenter's Board from TI in addition to the MSP430-1121STK2 from Olimex and so what I really need to be able to do is is program the MSP430F5438. My problem is that the procedure I used to program the MSP430F1121 does not work when applied to the MSP430F5438. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the latest drivers for the Olimex msp430-JTAG

2. Physically connected to parallel port LPT1 and to the JTAG header on the board

3. Copied the files FTD2xx.dll, HIL.dll, MSP430.dll, SiUSBXp.dll, and olimex.dll to the directory \Texas Instruments\CC Essentials V3\Debug Server\drivers

4. Opened CCE and created a new project by selecting File > New > Managed Make C/ASM Project (recommended)

5. Entered a new project name and clicked next until device selection page was shown. Selected MSP430F5438 from list.

6. Added a .c file (that is know to work fine) to the project by Project > Add Files to Active Project.

7. Chose Project > Properties and the selected TI Build Settings. Selected MSP430F5438. Selected TI Debug Settings. Under Setup Tab, selected TI MSP430F5438 LPT1 under "connection."

8. Made sure active project was selected in the file tree. Chose Run > Debug Active Project.

At this point am pretty sure that the board is recognized by CCE, but for some reason it tells me that it cannot erase the board's memory. The console reports the following error messages:

MSP430: Trouble Writing Memory Block at 0x5c24 on Page 0 of Length 0x1e: Could not erase device memory

Cannot write to target

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Like I said this procedure works when used on the MSP430F1121 but not when used on the MSP430F5438. I hate to bother everyone with what is probably an elementary problem, but at this point I really feel as if I've tried almost everything...