SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By donthompson
Every time I try to install the jtag-iso on a new computer I have to go through a lot of frustration trying to get it to work. If I don't do it exactly right then I spend hours trying to get it to work. I'm trying to do another new install and it won't work. What am I supposed to do to get the jtag to work?
By PossumMagic
I hear your pain!

I'm trying to get one of these up and running with IAR Kickstart. The documentation from Olimex is best described as "sparse" and the email exchanges I have had with the guy at Olimex only appear to be confusing the situation even more.

What I am trying to do, and after my exchanges with Olimex its now not clear to me if this is possible is:
1. Set up the JTAG-ISO so I can actually program a target MSP430 device
2. Set up the JTAG-ISO so I can use it in stand-alone mode (i.e. I don't need it connected to the PC every time) and mass program during production

I don't seem to be having any success with 1. IAR Kickstart seems unable to recognise the fact that the JTAG-ISO is connected. I've downloaded all the latest drivers, .DLL's, etc and installed them in the appropriate directories (I can't be 100% sure of this that I have in fact installed them in the correct directories 'cause Olimex's doco is very vague in this respect)

To achieve 2, I understand you actually have to program a target device first, then you read the program back into the JTAG-ISO and can then write this to all subsequent devices. But until I get 1 working, I can't test 2!!

Has anyone had any experience with the JTAG-ISO and IAR Kickstart, and do they have a brief "check list" of things that need to be done in order to get this combo to work?

Thanks
By leon_heller
I've had problems getting the MSP-JTAG-TINY working in the past with both CrossWorks and IAR. It didn't work when I tried it yesterday for the first time in in a few months, so I removed the drivers, got the latest drivers from Olimex and installed them, and it worked immediately!. I had to select Texas Instrument USB-IF in the FET Debugger dialogue, rather than Olimex USB; it was in the documentation but it's easy to miss it. You might need to do the same.

Leon
By PossumMagic
Thanks Leon.

I have tried all the latest of everything - drivers and what not from Olimex as well as the latest version of IAR Kickstart. The instructions from Olimex mention about 5 files that you have to manually copy into the appropriate "bin" subdirectory of the IAR program files directory (which I have done) and they also include a bunch of driver files with some somewhat vague instructions on what you need to do with these.

I have copied these into the appropriate "drivers" subdirectory of the IAR program files directory, as the instructions seem to indicate this is what should be done.

I have also set the FET Debugger option to the TI USB-IF and the target voltage to 3.3V.

When I then try and program my target MSP430 device via the JTAG-ISO, it tries to initialise the device, then bombs out to say there is no device there.

I'm a bit stumped as to what I can try next!
By leon_heller
Try removing the USB driver and reinstalling it. You should do it manually, and select the Olimex driver directory. If you chose automatic installation it might have found the wrong one.

Leon
By PossumMagic
Will give it a crack and report back.

That was one thing I wasn't sure of - which of the /driver subdirectories to actually put the driver files.

Mike
By donthompson
I've had mine working for some time, but sometimes it would just quit on me. There are 2 things that I've found are important in my situation.
1. the newer MSP430's need the reset line tied to the JTAG. This used to be optional, now it's not.
2. I was using an edge connector on my target and found that the fingers on the board were tarnishing which caused flaky connections. I keep the fingers clean with a pencil eraser and I replaced the edge connector with a better quality connector with gold contacts.
By leon_heller
The USB drivers don't need to go anywhere special, as they are installed in the Windows System directory. I just put the Olimex directory on the desktop, and deleted it when the drivers were installed.

Leon
By PossumMagic
OK, finally got this thing working after I got some great instructions from Georgi at Olimex. If I knew how to attach PDF's to this post, I'd include them here. Ignore the instructions on the Olimex website titled MSP430-JTAG-ISO-INSTALL.zip as these are not correct!!
By alston
I am using IAR Embedded Work bench C/C++ compiler for MSP 430 devices. I
would like to program the fuse of MSP430 chip using JTAG interface. I
studied from MSP 430 Embedded Workbench User guide, which directed me to
use the 'Secure' option in the Emulator menu after downloading the
Software using JTAG interface.
I downloaded the software using JTAG interface & found that the 'Secure'
option in the Emulator menu is not enabled. So I could not program the
fuse.
1)How can we enable the 'Secure' option?
2)How to program the fuse using JTAG interface?
3)How should I proceed?
Thanks in advance.