SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By mercury3141
I have an Olimex MSP430F116 prototype board and am using a parallel port programmer. I have been using this same programmer and mspgcc software for some time without problems with my MSP430149 board. The software correctly identifies the chip but I get the message 'verify fails'. It says it does program the correct number of bits. I've tried to download a simple program several times and it isn't taking.

My questions for you guys with more experience dealing with these things--
Have you heard of incompatibilities with the inexpensive parallel programmers and this chip? I don't find anything on google. Is it more likely the board is bad or there is a problem with the programmer? I expect I'm going to have to order more equipment, but what to start with the most likely solution.

Thanks for any advice.
By OldCow
Are you using the parallel port programmer to supply power to the device being programmed? That may be insufficient. What is the resulting voltage?

I have never heard about MSP430F116. Where did you find it?
By mercury3141
My board is here http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=585

And my programmer is here http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ucts_id=15

I tried both the programmer power only as well as the external power at 3.6V. As I said it works fine for the 149. I'm guessing I should order a new, more expensive, programmer or a new board b/c this one may be bad. I don't know which is more likely to solve my problem.

I have limited grant money and don't want to buy something I don't need if I can help it.
By OldCow
Personally, I prefer the parallel port programmer over other more expensive programmers. My reasons are:

a) It is not capable of blowing the JTAG fuse -- which I do not want to do.
b) It does not have any firmware.
c) There are fewer Windows dll drivers.

The only disadvantage is, the power supply is only ~2.9V with very limited current. I normally supply the target with a separate 3.0V power supply. (I think connecting a 3.3V target with a 2.9V programmer is not the right thing to do.)

I have many other USB programmers. They give me all kinds of problems in firmware updates and various Windows dll.