SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By naz
I'm using msp430f2111. it has one Timer. Already i used one software UART.Shall i add one more Software UART. is it possible?
By theatrus
Software UARTs are entirely code driven. What exactly is your requirement here? If its having two UARTs running concurrently, you'll want to change processors soon...
By naz
Thank you for your's reply. i need two software uart , one for communication between gps and microcontroller,another for communication between pc and microcontroller. is it possible in msp430f2111.
By theatrus
You are the only one who can answer that question. I can't see your software.
By leon_heller
I'd use a chip with a hardware UART, and do the other one in software.

Leon
By naz
so i couldn't use two software uart.is it?
By leon_heller
If you want, but why not make things easy for yourself?

Leon
By naz
That's what i'm telling to my boss.we have msp430f2111.it doesn't have hardware uart.ok tellme shall i use two software uart.please guide me.
By leon_heller
Why do you have to use that chip?

Leon
By OldCow
F2111 has a Timer_A3 module. Running at 16MHz, one probably could implement three half-duplex software ARTs for up to 9600b/s operation. But that takes skills and dedication.

If you need to ask, you probably cannot do it. Use a different approach. If your boss insists, you need a new boss.
By naz
leon They have two chip one is msp430f2111 and another one is msp430f2101.And i couldn't change my boss,i should do the task.Old cow i know this is very very difficult to me.give me a good guidance we can finish it.
By theatrus
naz, it all depends on your software UART implementation. There is no clear cut answer here, except that on each timer interval you do an action on all UARTs.
By naz
Thank you theatrus.i'm beginner to this field.give me some idea next what i have to do.
By leon_heller
Look at the examples on the TI web site; there is some software UART code using TIMER_A.

Leon
By naz
i tried it leon.but they are one only one software uart.our objective is,we have to use two software uart.