SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By s3034585
i am using an NTC thermistor and MSP430 to measure temperature between 0 to 50 degC.

ADC10 in msp is programmed to take 32 readings. the first 1-2 readings are quite away from the rest of readings. eventually the readings are stable with a couple of counts different.

Also when I power up the system first 4-5 sets of readings are quite away. they are literally off by 4-5degC, because the ADC readings are off.

has anybody faced same issue.

Also can some please commment on what is the best technique to average these readings.
By gm
Are you using the internal reference? If so, are you allowing enough time for the voltage to stabilize? Do you have filter caps on the reference?

gm
By s3034585
yes i am using the internal reference and i dont have caps on it.
By gm
Check the user guide for recommended capacitors and layout but it is typically a 10uF in parallel with a 0.1uF as close to the Vref pin as possible. I am using an MSP430F248 with the 12-bit ADC and the counts are VERY consistent. Of course, it depends upon the application and the layout. YMMV.

gm
By eltury
Is your thermistor buffered? Source impedance will affect your initial readings.

I take 33 readings, pitch the first one, sum the remaining 32 and shift left 3 places for 12 bit resolution.
By gm
Also, with thermistors you need to watch out for self-heating. I use a P-channel FET to switch the voltage on only while sampling.
By s3034585
i checked the datasheet. it says that for ADC10 Vref dosnt need caps, but if you are using ADC12 then you do need the caps.

hence i didnt put the caps...

i will try with caps...