SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By sburck
I just replaced a faulty JTAG with a new MSP-JTAG-TINY. After installing the drivers, I am getting "Firmware Upgrade Required". I can't find any upgrade tool on the Olimex Site; does anyone know what I need to do?
By jradomski
sburck wrote:I just replaced a faulty JTAG with a new MSP-JTAG-TINY. After installing the drivers, I am getting "Firmware Upgrade Required". I can't find any upgrade tool on the Olimex Site; does anyone know what I need to do?
are you pointing to the correct target?? crosworks allow you to use multiple interfaces... also make sure you have the current build of version 1.4.. there were several updates..
By sburck
If not pointing to the correct target, it's a different message, along the lines of "target_name not connected". So yes, I'm pointing to the correct target.

I'm using 1.4 Build 3, which is the last build I see on Rowley's site.
By gm
I also had problems using the JTAG-Tiny with CrossWorks 1.4. I wrote Rowley and they replied that there are actually two version of the JTAG-Tiny - one that is flash-upgradeable and one that is not. Apparently I had one that was not so I returned it to Sparkfun. I tried it with IAR and it did work so I knew it was functioning correctly.

The latest version of CrossWorks is 2.0.5. Since I know longer have the JTAG-Tiny, I haven't tried it with this version but you could download it and try it out.

HTH,

gm
By leon_heller
I have had some problems using the MSP-JTAG-Tiny when I first got it, but managed to get it going. I haven't used it for months, so I dug it out and tried it with an MSP430F1101 PCB of mine, with CrossStudio 1.4 Build 3. At first, the dll path was missing, so I added msp430-OLIMEX.dll (available from the Olimex web site) to the path. It then connected OK. The target is Olimex MSP43-JTAG. I've actually got both the old and the new versions of the JTAG-Tiny, and they both work OK with that dll.

Leon
By mgruber
sburck wrote:I am getting "Firmware Upgrade Required". I can't find any upgrade tool on the Olimex Site; does anyone know what I need to do?
Do the following:
  • 1. Go to Olimex site and download the latest drivers.
    2. Extract it to C:\Olimex. It will create a folder called OLIMEX MSP430-DLL drivers 1.033
    3. Rename the OLIMEX MSP430-DLL drivers 1.033 folder to MSP430 (it is wise to remove blanks for better compatibility with the PATH environment variable - see next)
    4. Add C:\Olimex\MSP430 to your PATH variable using the System control panel applet
    5. Download the "Olimex MSP430-Programmer" tool.
    6. Install it to C:\Olimex\MSP430 Programmer folder
    7. Copy the MSP-JTAG-TINY stuff (MSP430.DLL, HIL.DLL, FTD2XX.DLL and SIUSBXP.DLL), into C:\Olimex\MSP430 Programmer folder, overwriting all obsolete files
    8. IMPORTANT STEP: Open the Olimex Programmer and perform a simple read operation. This must be done only once: it will upgrade your MSP-JTAG-TINY firmware on its first access (it will show it on the status line)
    9. Now setup your Rowley Environment to use Olimex's MSP430.DLL on the C:\Olimex\MSP430 folder
IMPORTANT! Always keep your MSP430.DLL stuff "in sync" between your working environments (Rowley, IAR, mspgcc or any other tool)

I don't know if Rowley is able to upgrade the firmware by itself, so I opted to use Olimex programmer tool. This was also a required step to make work with the mspgcc freeware tools (I do debug with Rowley, because it's powerful, but prefer GCC's code generator for production level)
By sburck
Thanks - that did it.