SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By apullin
Hello folks. I know this issue has come up before, but even after reading through everything I can find, I can't see a resolution...

I bought the MSP430-JTAG-TINY programmer from sparkfun. I am attempting to use it with one of the MSP430d2131 boards.

Using the latest drivers from the Olimex website, the programmer installs fine, and the Olimex programmer software works fine for read, write, erase, etc.

I am now trying to use it with msp430-gdbproxy, such that I can incorporate programming into makefiles.
Using the latest version of mspgcc (mspgcc-20080603.exe), msp430-gdbproxy doesn't seem to communicate with the JTAG pod.

Replacing the DLL's (HIL.dll, MSP430.dll) in mspgcc\bin with those from the latest Olimex driver package,
Code: Select all
C:\mspgcc\bin>msp430-gdbproxy --port=1000 msp430 TIUSB

debug: MSP430_Initialize()
error:     msp430: The FET tool version does not match this program. Update required.
And trying to update it,
Code: Select all
msp430-gdbproxy --port=1000 msp430 --update-usb-fet TIUSB

notice:    msp430: TI USB FET update requested
notice:    msp430: Initializing bootloader...
error:     msp430: No error (0)
error:     msp430: Could not initialize device interface (1)
debug: MSP430_Initialize()
error:     msp430: The FET tool version does not match this program. Update required.

Has anyone gotten this to work with msp430-gdbproxy? I was under the impression that it did work, seeing as msp430-gdbproxy can be made to work with the TI USB programmers (ez-430 kit).

halp?
By marcovansteen
Hi apullin,

With the msp430d2131 I have no experience, however I updated my jtag-tiny programmer firmware one time succesfully with a msp430f2013 as target. The update with msp430-gdbproxy did not work with me either, but the olimex programmer software did. After the update, msp430-gdbproxy worked well.

I believe that the update function of gdbproxy only works well with TI programmers. The firmware for those programmers is stored in msp430.dll. The olimex firmware for jtag-tiny is included with the olimex programmer utilities. So maybe you loaded wrong fw in the programmer with msp430-gdbproxy (..) --update-usb-fet.

Did you replace also msp430.dll and hil.dll in the Olimex programmer software directories?

Best regards,

Marco
By bobpaul
Debugging works for me in TI's free IAR workbench. I replaced IAR's DLLs with the ones supplied by olimex, and the first time I hit "debug" it updated the programmers firmware. Since then it hasn't done anything like that.

Before and after I let IAR Workbench update the firmware, I have been unable to get msp-gdbproxy to work with the MSP-JTAG-TINY. I suspect I'll have to get a TI programmer cable. :-/

That said, I can 'make' and 'make download' just fine with this. Compiling and flashing are no problem with mspgcc and this programmer. It's only debugging which is an issue.

Edit: Hmm.. Apparently I missed one of the DLLs. I copied them all over again and one (I believe it was olimex.dll, actually) was a different size than the one being replaced. gdb-proxy not connects, but I haven't gotten insight installed yet. I expect it will work, though.
By mgruber
apullin wrote:Using the latest drivers from the Olimex website, the programmer installs fine, and the Olimex programmer software works fine for read, write, erase, etc.
Be careful! The Olimex programmer comes with an older version of MSP430.dll. If you use it "out-of-the-box" it may downgrade your firmware.
Be sure to update all MSP-JTAG-TINY files to the latest version, before using it. Then you will see gdbproxy working like a charm.