SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By SimonQian
Yes, I mean develop.
I can't find a cheap USB-interfaced MSP430 JTAG/SBW programmer.
I want to add MSP430 support to my programming tool, which can support ARM(JTAG thru OpenOCD),AVR(ISP/JTAG),AVR32(JTAG),S51(ISP),PSoC(ISSP),C8051F(JTAG/C2). And I'm adding more support to this tool.

I want to know is the information in SLAA149E "Programming a Flash-Based MSP430 Using the JTAG Interface (Rev. E)" essential and adequate for supporting MSP430?
By theatrus
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=606 not cheap enough?

But either way, yes that information is adequte. You can also use the MSP430's built in BSL mode to program them.

Debugging over the JTAG is another matter altogether, and TI does not public release specifications for that. Luckily, there is a freely available (but not open source) set of libraries for doing this, commonly known as msp430.dll / libmsp430.so/ Take a look at the mspgcc pages for details.
By SimonQian
Thank U for the information!
I don't think many Chinese will buy this. My tool is at half the price.
In China, we can buy a Stellaris CM3 debugger for about $14, STM32 debuffer for also $14, some other tools are just about the same price or even cheaper. They are all use USB.

msp430.dll in GCCMSP should support FET, is the protocol of FET open?
If it's open, can I use this protocol?
Or I have to use my USB_TO_XXX protocol.
By theatrus
SimonQian wrote: msp430.dll in GCCMSP should support FET, is the protocol of FET open?
If it's open, can I use this protocol?
Or I have to use my USB_TO_XXX protocol.
The actual wire protocol for debugging is not open. I believe the developer of the library has an NDA with TI.

Using the library however is not very hard. Look at the source for msp430-gdbproxy which allows you to use GDB with the TI FET.
By SimonQian
Thanx!
I will not use TI's protocol without license.
I've read the code of the slaa149f, all these are open and free.
And can be simply added to my tool.
By theatrus
You shouldn't have any problems doing debugging either, provided you use the library provided. Thats how the various Olimex JTAG units work.

But the programming steps are well documented. You can also take a look at the code for the wireless JTAG here on SparkFun. It does JTAG based programming over the nRF24L Nordic chip.

Good luck :)
By SimonQian
Thank U.
I've read "The gdbproxy Flash Emulation Tool (FET) interface for msp430-gdb", and found "You cannot build an MSP430 debugger with that".
Now what my programming tool can support is quite clear.

PS: My programming tool is different, it's based on a STM32F103C8T6.
There's more information: http://www.simonqian.com/en/Versaloon.
By SimonQian
Does serJTAGfirmware in MSPGCC receive patch?

A problem in ResetTAP:
void ResetTAP(void)
{
word i;

SetTMS();
SetTCK();
// Perform fuse check
ClrTMS();
SetTMS();
ClrTMS();
SetTMS();
// Now fuse is checked, Reset JTAG FSM
for (i = 6; i > 0; i--)
{
ClrTCK();
SetTCK();
}
// JTAG FSM is now in Test-Logic-Reset
ClrTCK();
ClrTMS();
SetTCK();
// JTAG FSM is now in Run-Test/IDLE
}
It checks fuse and then shifts 6 tms '1' to reset JTAG FSM.
But according to "Appendix B MSP430 JTAG Implementation" of slaa149, it should first shifts 6 tms '1' to enter into Fuse Check state, and then checks fuse.