SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By Mr Awesome
I am a cheap bastard and dont really want to buy an EZ430 programmer. Is there a simple way to interface the MSP430F2013 to my compputer.

Note: I am a noob to electronics and this is my first go with microcontrollers.
so dont particularly want to fork out heaps on it lol.
By leon_heller
Olimex makes a low-cost MSP430 programmer/debugger. It would cost you more just to buy the parts.

Leon
By Mr Awesome
Oh ok, anyway to do it without buying online. I'm perfectly happy to run down to the local electronics store for a few resistors etc.
By falingtrea
The programmer with a target board is only 20 bucks. That is pretty cheap. Or if you have a contact with a TI distributor, you may be able to sweet-talk them into giving it to you for free. Too bad you missed out on the 430 day TI sponsors. I got a EZ430 2013 and an EZ430 RF2500 for free from that.
By Mr Awesome
K, still. What would be a simple circuit that can interface the MSP430. The diagram or a link to it. I dont care if its harder or whatver. Circuit pls lol
By gm
If you were using one of the 1xx series, you could make a simple bootstrap loader (BSL). Plans and software are available on TI's site. I don't know of any publicly available circuit that allows you to program via spy-bi-wire, which the '2013 uses. I believe that you need to sign an NDA with TI before they will release the details.

This is why you are getting suggestions to just buy the eZ430. It really is the cheapest, fastest way to be able to program the '2013.

-gm
By Philba
I don't believe there is a simple circuit as the 2xxx series has a funky 2 wire protocol that is a derivative of their jtag interface. You would need someting to take the jtag signals and crunch them down. You MIGHT be able to bit bang it on a parallel PC or, as the ez430 does, use an msp430 chip. You'd need a programmer to program that chip. heh heh.

spend the $20 or spend a couple of weeks reverse engineering their protocol.