Looking for a good and free way to program MSP430 under Win XP using the Olimex JTAG tiny (via USB), I decided to go for mspgcc plus mspgdb/mspgdb-proxy.
These three parts work well for my MSP430f2013 via spy by wire. Wow!
The main disadvantage now is that the debugger is command line based. So I decided to look for a GUI/IDE.
The web is full of tips and hints.
- I tried GPS (the former GVD). I could not even do a succesful build with this tool. Has this program ever been tested to work with mspgcc and mspgdb? Configuration with XML is rather horrible imho.
- Eclipse is a little better: I managed to have Eclipse build the program. However, debugging via msp430-gdb gives problems. GDB returns errors. I could not figure out how to avoid these.
- DDD only is available for linux/unix/cygwin. Did not try this yet.
- The trial version of NOICE works and does not need any other programs! Hmm, this would cost $249. Not exactly free.
- IAR works great but the code size limit will kill me in the end.
So basically my question is: how can I succeed in installing a freeware toolchain for msp430 on Win XP, including a GUI frontend for debugging or an IDE?
Please let me know how you did it!