SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By OBCD
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and just purchased a MSP430-417STK2 and a MSP430-JTAG.

I am having difficulties programming the development board. I have changed the settings in IAR as discussed in this forum to FET Debugger and to Olimex LPT. The JTAG cable is connected to the parallel port and the Development board correctly.

Attempting to program the board, I receive the error, "no device found or device disconnected". I have checked the pinouts of the IDC connector on the JTAG and I am getting 3V on the Vout pins. However when I connect it to the board, VCC points around the Development board only read 1.5V which isn't enough to drive the chip. I confirmed with the schematics that the JTAG should be providing 3V to the Development board without external power required.

I used 2x AAA batteries to provide 3V for the Development board and was able to program it using IAR.

After programming the board with the example code provided by Olimex, (http://www.olimex.com/dev/soft/msp430/msp430-413stk.asm), I am having issues with the board. The LCD is showing a lot of ghosting and the characters are not correct. The dials (clock hands) are also showing multiple hands at the one time.

I have tried pressing the push-buttons but as the LCD isn't legible, I can not tell if anything is happening. The buzzer also does not beep. Could I confirm what this test program is suppose to do?

There are no visible shorts on the board. The coin battery holder doesn't match the overlay markings on the bottom side of the board, but I believe this is a correction as I've measured it against the schematics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Peter