SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By neilhand
Does anyone have any information on how to interact with the MP3 shield. The webpage for this product does not list any information on the required libraries to use with Arduino or any examples. I have tried searching around both the site and web in general, but have found no additional information.

My intention is to try to use the MP3 Shield together with the microSD shield to add some sound capability to a project.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
By robertsonics
If your goal is to add sound to a project, this is a very labor intensive way to accomplish it. Consider the MP3 Trigger instead. While not a shield per se, it takes as few as 3 wires to connect to (and be powered by) an Arduino, and gives you sound playback capability with a few lines of code. But I admit to being biased...

On the other hand, if the goal is to do it yourself or to save $20, then I suggest that the VS1053 data sheet has everything you'll need to talk to the board.
By nagano2k
I'm having problem with the interacting too.....I'm reading the vs1053D datasheet, but it's kinda complicated to configure all the SCI snd SDI comunications.
I want to know if somebody has already made a project with this shield and have some library to reduce the lines of my code or a source code that I can use as a basis to make my code.
I tried to search on the internet a project with this shield, but i didn't found any.
thx for the help
By neilhand
In the end i went with the AudioShield instead it seemed easier at the time.

If i was to do it again, the MP3 Trigger (as suggested below) would have been a much better option as the AudioShield used too many resources (pins, timers, etc) making it very difficult to do what i needed.
By nagano2k
Unfortunately I don't live in Europe or USA and order another thing on sparkfun it would be expensive, because of the import taxes, that is high.
So I have to do with this shield, I just realized of the mp3 trigger after I purchased the shield.

If someone did a project of mp3player with a vs1053D or another version of the CI and wouldn't mind to share the source code you used or some library to help I'll be grateful.
By mcuaust
Hi nagano2k,

don't give up on the MP3 shield.

There's a thread on the VLSI forum which mentions the "VS1053 mp3 shield from sparkfun", that has some code you could try.
See: http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/viewto ... ?f=11&t=65

Also, VLSI sell a book titled "First Steps with VS1053 - designing custom MP3 players and other digital audio applications", which sounds like it suits your application.
See: http://www.vsdsp-forum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36