SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By structuresound
Question:

Anybody notice a difference in behavior / problems between their dip328 boards and their tqfp328 boards? Any difference in fuse setup / port addressing? As far as I can tell from the data sheet, aside from the physical pin placement, they should behave identically.

background:

I've been working on a board with a pdip328 running parallel lcd in "2-wire" via a 74ls164 chip.

I just got a smt version in and now the code that works fine on the dip version does not on the smt.

Screen is getting info but totally jumbled / invalid.

Electronically everything looks identical on my scope, including all signals at the D4,5,6,7 + E inputs for the lcd.
By structuresound
Looking at this some more, I think I probably got a bad 74_164 chip. Will swap and post results. Everything else (other than the screen is working splendidly).

P.S. is 328 end of life, seems like a shocking lack of stock all over the world.
By structuresound
Okay, this thread could actually be deleted as it is not ATMEL related. My problem was using an MBRA140, where I needed a 1N914. I thought these two diodes would perform the same. Turned out they don't when it comes to & gates. OR I got a bad MBRA140 on the board.