SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By sdisselhorst
I got these 20x4 LCD screens and I am having a problem writing to them. I had successfully used the 16x2's in the past and I assumed they would work the same. I defined the screen with lcd.begin(20,4) but the characters seem to go wherever they want to go on the screen. These screens also have serial connections on them, but I am connected to the raw data pins, is that OK to do? I have the liquidcrystal.h included and the pins defined. Like I said, I have interfaced many times using the 16x2 screens without trouble. Here are my questions:
1. Is it OK to connect to the new sparkfun 20x4 serial enabled screens via the data pins, ignoring the serial option?
2. If it is OK to do so, why are my screens not putting the content in the right place? I seem to be able to use the first line OK, but it goes crazy when I start trying to use the last row.

Help!

P.S. I would really rather not use it serially due to the extremely slow serial overhead.
By sdisselhorst
Nevermind. I was just being dumb. It works fine. I had a setcursor(0,4) at one point which was blowing everything up. Thanks!