SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By John3
I'm considering purchasing an Olimex AVR-CAN. The manual says sample C code is available from the Olimex web site, but I am not able to find it.

I wonder if anyone has some sample assembly code they are willing to share. What I hope to do is use the AVR-CAN as a working device on a CAN bus such that I can light the LED and sense the push button from a remote device using low baud rate.

In other words, I want to use it as test equipment to get the other devices on the bus up and running. Is there a better way to go about it?
By stevech
have you also considered using Dallas 1-Wire for this? Much simpler, if the devices can be 1-wire-based.
By leon_heller
I can't see the point of using CAN for that. LIN or MODBUS would be much cheaper and easier, or just use RS-232 ur RS-485.

Leon
By John3
Well, someday I want to have a multi-master bus. I could buy a few MCP2515s and 24451's and attemp to hook them up to AVRs, but I really want something to communicate with to get started.

I've used I2C and SPI and RS232 and looked at RS485. CAN seems to have it all. Even self adjusts somewhat to line length.

Anyhow, I was just posting to see if there was code already available here for the AVRCAN. I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion here or somebody on AVR Freaks will nail me a a cross poster. :wink:

John, ARS W0GN