SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By curtcarpenter
The Velleman Kit K8055 USB experiment board is available from a number of sources on the internet, is not too expensive (around $50), and gives you the capability to use a USB port to "talk" to the outside world from within your own programs. It offers both analog and digital I/O capability, albeit at low bandwidth.

I've used this board as the basis for a very simple "bit-banger" programmer for several ATMEL uCs, and have been told that my K8055-based approach is more reliable (although a lot slower) than the popular parallel port cable scheme.

If you'd be interesed in the hardware/software to build a K8055-based programmer, let me know and I'll be happy to share my code and hardware design here.
By simonvav
It is not difficult to build your own programmer for PIC18F24J50. I built one from MCP2200. Then you only have to use USB framework to get PIC to talk over USB and there is still a lot of space to write own functions. I wrote two functions that gave me direct control of PIC registers via USB. Now, I can use whole PIC functionalory like 10-bit A/D (up to 12 input channels) directly from a PC. This is a great way of testing your algorithms. Later on you may also program them in the microcontroller.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]