SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By HasanRubaie
Hi,
I've recently downloaded WinAVR, and then "programmers notepad" so now after writing my C code, how should I compile ??? I think I have to change the variables environment or something? and then link the editor to some file in WinAVR folder?

thanks.
By stevech
I recommend installing Atmel's free AVR Studio. And GCC-WinAVR is a simple install option with it. Now you have a full IDE where you have a wizard to create a project, manage files in the project, and a built-in editor. Once you master that, you may elect to use a different outboard editor. I haven't seen the need to do so.

You edit, compile optionally test using the simulator, then download to the AVR chip via the ISP or JTAGs and there you are. With JTAG you can set breakpoints in the device itself.
By HasanRubaie
stevech wrote:I recommend installing Atmel's free AVR Studio. And GCC-WinAVR is a simple install option with it. Now you have a full IDE where you have a wizard to create a project, manage files in the project, and a built-in editor. Once you master that, you may elect to use a different outboard editor. I haven't seen the need to do so.

You edit, compile optionally test using the simulator, then download to the AVR chip via the ISP or JTAGs and there you are. With JTAG you can set breakpoints in the device itself.

Ok, clear thank you so much , it works now .