SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By jade
Hi,

does anyone know of any simple development boards for the Mega2560?

Or better yet, is olimex going to ever make a board for the chip?
By OLIMEX
hi,

we restrain and release boards only for AVRs which are supported by our JTAGs
no much sense to offer board which is not supported by your JTAG tools as there would be tons of questions - why I can\t use your JTAGs to work with your boards ;)

Atmel have some weird policy to offer several tools which virtually do one and same but are limited to support only few of their devices.

For instance they support almost everything with their MK2 ICE, which is US $300 or something, I guess they got lot of complains about this price and this is why they released the Dragon for $50, but decided to not support all devices with it, i.e. buy the $50 JTAG then when your project grow spend another $300 for MK2. Which is silly as the support for all devices could be done in the ATJTAGICE or Dragon or MK2 it's simple matter of software. And the support of several tools is more expensive for them than to keep one.

maybe it's about time to have OpenOCD for AVRs like the one for ARM, this would definitely bring the cost low for the AVR tools.

Best regards
Tsvetan
By jade
I guess that means then that olimex doesn't plan to make a mkII compatible JTAG device either?

A openocd project would be great. Maybe I will read up all that was done on the ARM and see what can /could be done for AVR.
It wont help what I want to do now, but might help in the future at least.