SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By Ashfaque
Hello everyone,

Newbie question. So apologies beforehand. Could you please explain for a novice like me the difference between AVRISP MKII (from Atmel), STK500 Compatible USB Programmer, Tiny AVR Programmer, and Pocket AVR Programmer.

I'm a bit confused which would be good for my current project ( making a 'camera exposure meter'). For now, I will be using either SparkFun Pro Micro 3.3V or, Adafruit Pro Trinket (3V) - haven't decided yet. But I have more projects in mind. So I want an AVR programmer that can be used with as many AVR microcontrollers as possible. I don't want to spend more than $50 though. If you have some other alternatives, please do let me know their pros and cons.

Bests,

Ashfaque
Last edited by Ashfaque on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By leon_heller
One that also supports debugging would be a good idea, like the Atmel AVR Dragon or the Atmel-ICE.
By Ashfaque
leon_heller wrote:One that also supports debugging would be a good idea, like the Atmel AVR Dragon or the Atmel-ICE.
Thanks Leon. :) Atmel-ICE looks like a nice option. There are a few options. So please let me know which kit I should get from here: http://www.atmel.com/tools/atatmel-ice.aspx

Cheers,

Ashfaque
By leon_heller
It depends on the target board. Those different kits have different cables/connectors.
By Ashfaque
For now, I will be using Adafruit's Pro Trinket (3V), and SparkFun's Pro Micro, and Pro Mini.

Somewhat related, is there any cheaper source to get those adapters and cables (the extra stuffs that comes with the $92 kit) from somewhere else (other than from Atmel)?

Cheers :)
By darrellg
You know that none of those boards require a programmer don't you? The Pro Trinket and Pro Micro can be programmed with just a USB cable, and the other just need a USB-Serial adapter.
By Ashfaque
darrellg wrote:You know that none of those boards require a programmer don't you? The Pro Trinket and Pro Micro can be programmed with just a USB cable, and the other just need a USB-Serial adapter.
I actually didn't know it for certain. Thanks for that. :)

The other reason: Am I correct in saying that if I brick an AVR microcontroller, I can reprogramme it with an Atmel ATATMEL-ICE (or, similar device)?

My wife says that I have a tendency of making things more complicated! Oh well. :)