SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By wld91
Hi all, it my first time when I post in this forum, and also a newbie in the embedded programming.

:? I have a some questions about how to set-up a microcontroller atmega328p-mu and determine the quartz speed.

So I have a board femtoduino, that had a 16mhz oscillator, when I change it with a 8Mhz one, I think I accidentally messed them up, and now I don't know what oscillator is on the microcontroller. I can't see the value on them because I accidentally pus some solder on them, the writing was small and I couldn't see the value with a magnifying glass.

The tension regulator was changed with a 3.3v one.

So here is what I'm asking.

1. Why I can't read the device id in avr studio if I supply a 3.3v only if I supply 5v, the microcontroller works after if I switch to 3.3v. The programmer is a Pololu USB AVR Programmer.

2. How to set the fuses right? Starting from the assumption that the oscillator is the right one (8MHz). What should I select for starting time?

3. How can I determine after setting the fuses right if the oscillator is 8MHz or 16MHz. I don't have a oscilloscope, I was thinking if I could determine using delay_ms, but before I get to learning process I want to make sure I have the proper hardware for my needs, so a sample code will be highly appreciated (for testing the value of oscillator).

So thanks I guess, if you need more details, please ask.

Have a nice day,
Vlad
By skimask
Program a 1 second blinky.
Blinks at 1 second, oscillator is right.
Blinks at twice per second, oscillator is wrong.
Blinks every 2 seconds, oscillator is wrong.
Doesn't blink, something else is wrong.
2) ????
3) Profit.
By wld91
Ok, got it!

I set up this sample code.
Code: Select all
#include <avr/io.h>

#define F_CPU 8000000

#include <util/delay.h>

int main(){   
    DDRC = 0xFF;

while(1){
       PORTC = PORTC ^ 0x01;
       _delay_ms(1000);
    }

return 0;
}
I got the fuses value right from a tutorial.
I will test it when I get home.

The thread remains opened for the first question.
P.S.:
1st question: when I can't program the chip, the
tension (5v) is applied on the VIN pin and runs through the
voltage regulator (3.3v). When I can program the chip the tension (5v) is applied on the VCC pin (no voltage regulator).
By Ross Robotics
wld91 wrote:when I can't program the chip, the
tension (5v) is applied on the VIN pin and runs through the
voltage regulator (3.3v). When I can program the chip the tension (5v) is applied on the VCC pin (no voltage regulator).
From the Programmers product page:
The programmer is powered by the 5V USB power bus, and it is intended for programming AVRs that are running at close to 5 V (note that the programmer does not deliver power to the target device)