SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By sureshparanjape
I am a total novice to micro controllers and learning by searching on internet.I have an arduino board with atmega328 on board. As a first trial, I have written and verified the sketch for digital clock. The next step is to make a stand alone by creating a board with necessary hardware, including a micro controller. I would imagine that one could use a less sophisticated/advanced micro controller than atmega328 for example atmega8 or so. Can empty PIC controller be boot loaded to program by arduino? May be my last question show how naive I am.!
sureshparanjape
By n1ist
For a one-of project, I would just use the same processor (ATMega328). If cost becomes an issue and you are making thousands, the ATMega x8 family (48, 88, 168, and 328) are all drop-in compatible except for memory size so you could use a smaller one.

As for whether a PIC running a bootloader can be programmed by an Arduino - it likely could, but I don't see what you would get out of it. You would still need to get the PIC data from the PC to the Arduino, and then from there to the PIC. It is easier to go directly from the PC. In general, you don't mix processor families in one project. Sure, there are special cases where it makes sense, but they aren't too common.

/mike
By stevech
Re smaller/cheaper micro... what's the goal? I'd think that at this point you're focused on learning 100% of C then C++.
A good change might be to these small Arduino like micros, if you don't need "shields". The 3.1 version of these boards has A/D, D/A, and all the popular interfaces like SPI. And there are piggy-back boards in this tiny size for Ethernet (Wiz820 module), XBee (IEEE 802.15.4), and others. I think SFE sells some of the older versions, or used to.
The clever part is that the vendor's Teensyduino software libraries are compatible with Arduino's. Same for the 3.x hardware which uses a sophisticated ARM processor despite the price and size.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/index.html
http://forum.pjrc.com/forum.php
By sureshparanjape
Thank you very much.
May I bother you with yet another simple questions. I am thinking of using the same ATmega328 on aruduino board for my little project. I have purchased a new one to replace one on board with idea of having newer on the board so that it would last longer than previous one for trying out sketches.
I just don't have idea whether it is preloaded for booting and I simply plug in and start using it as before. If it is not preloaded and I try to program what would happen.I searched on internet but with no success.

Another search that is not resulting success is about how to configure atmega328 legs' on board with the necessary (?) supporting components which would make atmega328 function similar to when it was on arduino board.

Thanks
sureshparanjape
By skimask
sureshparanjape wrote:May I bother you with yet another simple questions.
No
I am thinking of using the same ATmega328 on aruduino board for my little project.
Either do, or do not. Thinking won't get anything accomplish.
I have purchased a new one to replace one on board with idea of having newer on the board so that it would last longer than previous one for trying out sketches.
And your thought process is what?
I just don't have idea whether it is preloaded for booting and I simply plug in and start using it as before.
You buy a bare chip, you get a bare chip.
If it is not preloaded and I try to program what would happen.
Depends on WHAT you try to program it with.
I searched on internet but with no success.
How is THAT possible???
Another search that is not resulting success is about how to configure atmega328 legs' on board with the necessary (?) supporting components which would make atmega328 function similar to when it was on arduino board.
That is even LESS possible than the previous comment...
By sureshparanjape
Ah, I liked the comments- that shows how ignorant I am! However, being a novice in wonderland of electronics,I am nevertheless facing those questions.I will try hard to find answers to my questions.Thanks for making me realize that answers to my questions are simple and exists. This reminds me a quote- problem is always very difficult to till you get to solution!
sureshparanjape
By n1ist
The flash in these chips will last for thousands of program cycles, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for a new chip, you can buy them with the bootloader pre-loaded or without. Unless the place you are getting them from specifically says that they come with a pre-loaded Arduino bootloader, they will be blank. To load a bootloader, you will need some sort of ISP programmer. I use the AVRISP MK 2, but you could also load a sketch into an Arduino and turn it into a programmer. An Internet search should find the instructions on how to do that.

As for designing your own board, do a web search for a minimal Arduino schematic. You will need to wire up power and ground and the appropriate bypass caps (AVcc and AGND need to be wired up regardless of whether you are using analog inputs), and reset. If you are using analog inputs, you need a 100n cap from Aref to ground. Depending on your need, you may need a ceramic resonator or crystal and two caps. You will want this if you are using the UART or need accurate timing.

/mike