SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By cs123
Hi,

I have a Sparkfun Pro Micro (with an Atmega32u4 on it) which is programmed to identify itself as a HID keyboard when plugged in via USB. During development, I used the virtual com port for programming and debugging. My “product” is finished right now, and I would like to hide or disable the virtual com port.

At this moment when a user plugs in the USB, the computer installs the HID keyboard driver automatically and shows a driver installation error for the virtual com port. This does not look very professional for an end product. I could provide a driver for it, but the virtual com port is not needed. That’s why I want to hide or disable the virtual com port.

Is this possible? I don’t want to remove the virtual com port completely, as I may need it in the future for program updates. So it needs to be available when needed.

Thanks in advance.
By Ross Robotics
cs123 wrote: I could provide a driver for it, but the virtual com port is not needed.
...I don’t want to remove the virtual com port completely, as I may need it in the future for program updates. So it needs to be available when needed.
Then I guess you do need the COM port.. So, if you need it you will have to provide a driver for it. You can find one that is not copyright or distribution limited or you can wrote your own.
By cs123
No, I mean that the user will never use the virtual com port. I, the programmer of the device, may need to update it in the future. So I need a solution to turn off the com port at this moment, but being able to turn it back on again if I need to change the program.
By Ross Robotics
So is the user going to send it back to get reprogrammed?
By cs123
codlink wrote:So is the user going to send it back to get reprogrammed?
Yes. So only I need to be able to use the com port. It needs to be hidden for the user.
By Ross Robotics
lol, I don't know of any circumstance that I would buy a product and have to send it back to get software updates.. lmao

Good luck on selling it.
By cs123
codlink wrote:lol, I don't know of any circumstance that I would buy a product and have to send it back to get software updates.. lmao
Good luck on selling it.
That's not the point... It's not even a product that i am going to sell in large quantities.

So anybody else that can help me with disabling the virtual com port?