SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By jernfrost
Hi I have a ISP500 programmer from Olimex (STK500v2 compatible) compatible. https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Pro ... VR-ISP500/. But I have a hunch that I broke it, but I have no idea how to verify that. I am using it on a Mac with CrossPack and AVRFuses. First time I tried it I connected all the cables correctly and it worked fine. E.g. I could read the fuse settings in AVRFuses (GUI wrapper around avrdude). I could also send over a demo program created with the CrossPack command avr-project. Of course I had to edit the makefile so it contained my programmer, serial device etc.

The second instance I tried to use it I built a more complicated circuit and I connected all the cables to the programmer completely wrong. It took me a while before I realized it was all connected wrong. I got the error message below pretty much whatever I did. I tried not plugging in any cables at all and still got the same error message.
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): warning: Command timed out
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Despite disconnecting all other parts of the circuit and connecting the lines correctly I kept getting the same error message. I have checked and double checked the connections. I have supplying a +5V to pin 2 (target Vcc) on the ISP6 connector of the programmer and I have tried without supplying external voltage. When I got it working the first time I did in fact not supply any external voltage.

When I try to read the fuses or transfer a program, The steady green light on the programmer goes blank and then blinks red for a short time before returning to green. The error message is always the same.

So I was thinking maybe I can check if the programmer works by connecting it to my arduino and attempt to read fuses e.g. Would that be away of testing it? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
By jernfrost
I solved my problem even if I still do not know how to check if the programmer works. My problem was that I connected pin 3 (serial clock) of the ISP6 connector to pin 2 (CLKI) on my attiny13. I thought that was the same as the serial clock, but of course it should have pin pin 7 (SCK). The red blinking of the programmer does not seem to indicate an error but simply that the programmer is attempting to program.