SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By Marmotta
I've decided to get round to sorting out my AVR programmer, which I've had for a while but never actually used since I got error messages in AVRDUDE. I'm getting the seemingly common "initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check" message. I've checked my connections god knows how many times and tried detecting both a Mega8 and Tiny2313 by typing "avrdude -c usbtiny -B 1 -pm8" and "avrdude -c usbtiny -B 1 -pt2313" respectively and neither of them work.

I am running 64-bit Windows 7, but as far as I can tell the drivers would appear to be working (I've swapped over the files from the libusb library and it shows up correctly under Device Manager). I'm supplying power through the AVR programmer and the 5V required is reaching the chips.
By Marmotta
Just to add some extra information, this is how the programmer shows up in Device Manager:

This is the error message I'm getting:

This is how I've wired the chip to a solderless proto board:

I have soldered all the connections to a breadboard in the past and got exactly the same issues. The power and D- LEDs on the programmer are constant blue and the Stat1 LED constantly red. The D+ and Stat2 flash briefly when I attempt to program the chip.

This is how I've connected the Atmega 8 to the programmer:

The programmer is connected to a USB 2.0 port on my laptop, which may be an issue according to some things I've read through on the forum...