SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By chrisab508
Hi Everyone,
I've done a bunch of searching online trying to figure this out but I haven't been successful. Does anyone know if there’s a full-fledged graphical IDE out there which will work with this board? Also, does anyone know if this board can be programmed using the Atmel flip utility? I installed the INF driver for this board, it enumerates as a com port for me (COM5), but Flip doesn’t seem to recognize any RS-232 communication, or really provide a way for me to connect to the board.

I found a tutorial online about setting up eclipse with the AVRdude/winAVR plugin. I followed that and it seems to be mostly set up correctly, but I don't know which programmer to select within the options to program over USB/the enumerated COM port. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to avoid command line tools if at all possible.

Thanks.

- Chris
By WayfaringNinja
Hello,

I've just received my SparkFun ATmega32u4 the other day and have been dealing with exactly the same issue. Flip doesn't see it over USB and I don't have a programmer to write to flash. I understand Flip requires that you install their drivers for the chip but Windows always rejects it, will only accept the SparkFun drivers that Flip can't understand.
By chrisab508
WayfaringNinja wrote:My issue was with 64bit Windows 7, I managed to program it with AVR109 in AVRdude inside of a Windows XP virtual machine (VMWare player)
I never had any problems programming with AVR109 and AVRdude, that always worked for me (I use Win7 x64). I was simply looking for a simpler alternative to program the controller (e.g. FLIP) and could never get FLIP to work.