SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By briscoe
Hello Everyone,

So todays a sad day, I changed the fuse settings on my atmega328p and I cannot reprogram my Arduino Pro any longer. I want to get peoples input on what to do from here.

Reasons I think I bricked it:
* cannot connect to the chip with avr studio using my avrisp.
* I try to change fuse settings but they do not take and am continually getting the giant ISP Mode Error message.
* Cannot read the devices signature.
* avrisp can read and program other chips I have
* when trying to reprogram the Arduino Pro using avrisp I get this error from avrdude
avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_recv(): checksum error
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad STK600 connection status: Unknown (0x64)
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

So now the big question is what to do from here. I'm open to any suggestions, I need some good old fashioned advice.

Reason I got into this mess is I was trying to program my pro board from the arduino ide, and was having a heck of a time getting the avrisp to be recognized. I ended up in the fuse section to make some modifications to see if the problem was on the boards end and then it became completely unresponsive.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can use the avrisp in arduino as a programmer, here is a picture of what my programer looks like http://www.raphnet.net/divers/avrprog/avrisp.jpg

Thanks for the help, anything is greatly appreciated
Briscoe B-)
Last edited by briscoe on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By stevech
often this happens when the fuse settings are changes for the oscillator internal/external options.
search for then ask on avrfeaks.net forum.
By dkulinski
I changed the fuses on my atmega328 and managed to "brick" it also. It turns out that you can cobble together a high voltage programmer and reset the fuses. I returned 2 out of 2 atmega328s back to life!

Here is the schematic. This is doable on a breadboard.
http://mightyohm.com/blog/2008/09/ardu ... rogrammer/

I managed to disable my reset function and this fixed it.

Dan
By briscoe
Thanks for the replys! I was playing with the clock options when It kicked the bucket ;-)

Thanks for the link to the mightyohm programmer! I need to spend some time to wire it up. Sadly I don't have another arduino lying around so ill have to make one first with my spare parts.