SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By Qaisar Azeemi
HI All;

can any one learn the programming and interfacing of PIC, AVR, LPC etc and other microcontrollers only by searching internet and experiments and carry projects without teachers ore instructors?

i am fresh Graduate and beginner to this field and need help from experts.

hope you will help me.

thank you in anticipation.

Regards,

Qaisar Azeemi
By fll-freak
One can learn just about anything with enough reading, experimenting and breaking of parts. Over my lab bench, I have a sign that reads "Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined".

Start with an Arduino (hardware and software) and all the support for them and you can get someplace pretty quick.
Last edited by fll-freak on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave Mueller
The Arduino is a hardware platform and software based on the Atmel chips that is designed to be easy to learn.
Buy a genuine Arduino instead of a cheap clone so that you help support the open source project.

http://www.arduino.cc/

Yes, you can learn to program microcontrollers by yourself but to get questions answered, you must rely on message boards where sometimes you get good answers and sometimes you don't.

You can learn with either Microchip or Atmel, each one has advantages and disadvantages. However, for a beginner, the Arduino (Atmel uC) system makes it much easier and there are a lot of nice accessory boards. I don't think anything similar exists for the PIC.