SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By csut123
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have an AVRISP mkii programmer which I have been using fine with my desktop to program ATmega32s for a year or two now. I just got my parents to send my electronics stuff over to my college so I can fool around with microcontrollers some more. I had never used the programmer with my laptop before. My laptop is running Windows 7 64-bit. I can't seem to program my ATxmega128A1 on the breakout board from Sparkfun. I have searched many times on the internet and none of the problems match mine exactly, and none of the solutions have worked for me. I am sure the wiring is correct and I have checked multiple times. I tried the programmer with an ATmega32 which I actually have experience with and it does not work with that either. I will plug in the programmer and turn on the switch for my power supply and both lights will be solid green. Then I will go into AVR Studio and go into the programming interface. No matter what I do (usually read signature) it will say "Setting mode and device parameters.. OK!
Entering programming mode.. FAILED!
Leaving programming mode.. FAILED!" and I will get an error message. Even if I don't change anything the message seems to change. It will either say that the programming interface is not wired correctly or that the pins are shorted and the light will start blinking orange. Sometimes it started to blink red instead. If I turned off the power supply the status light would keep blinking until I unplug the usb cable and replug it. I feel like it is a driver issue. I tried to reinstall the drivers to no avail. Now I am just getting a blinking orange and if I turn off the power supply it will become solid red so maybe thats a step in the correct direction.
Also it might be important to mention that I can no longer update the firmware on it unless I do it manually by shorting the two pins inside.

It actually worked the first time I plugged it in for a couple minutes with the xMega and it was reading the signature fine... then something happened and now nothing is working... Do you think it is my laptop? or the Programmer? or maybe somehow BOTH the micros are disabled somehow (i dunno maybe the fuses were set wrong?). I wish I had another computer to test it with but I don't have my desktop here :evil: . I will keep trying to test the wiring again and again but its driving me nuts! I hope someone can help... XD