SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By mikemolang
USING:
Olimex AVR-IO
Olimex AVR-ISP500
COM3
Installed AVR Studio, checked to see the STK500 was installed
Upgraded AVR-ISP500 Firmware

PROBLEM: While everything works fine when using my laptop (Windows XP), I cannot get it to work using my desktop (also Windows XP). The laptop uses an older installation of BASCOM and AVR Studio (probably about two years old, or so?) The desktop, (where the problem lies) uses all of the latest programs.

SYMPTOMS (on my desktop, where I am having the problem...):
If I select the STK500 option in BASCOM, when I attempt to interface with the chip (Pressing 'F4'), I see the CMD Window flash on the screen and immediately disappears. Nothing else happens.

If I select the STK500 Native Driver in BASCOM and press 'F4', it brings up the programmer window. It warns me about no EEP found, but that is OK.

??? On my laptop it would automaticlly load and verify the program. On the desktop it does not.

Working on the desktop:
GOOD: If I press the identify chip button, it does so correctly. Commnication is happening
GOOD: If I read the code from the FLASH into the BUFFER, it seems to work correctly
GOOD: Check if chip erased seems to work correctly
BAD: Verify chip content with buffer results in a 'DIVISION BY ZERO' error alert window popping up. I captured the text from this error. It is attached (DBZ_Error.txt)
BAD: Write buffer to chip gives me the same 'Division By Zero' error
BAD: Pressing the auto-program button within the programmer hangs the programmer. It stops responding... When I eventually close that window I get 'You chose to end a nonresponsive program" pop-up, which says the offending program was BASCOM-AVR IDE.

Looking for help...

Thanks!
Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By mikemolang
UPDATE:

I uninstalled BASCOM from the desktop, and reinstalled the version that is successfully running on the laptop (1.11.9.1) and I copied my old STK500.exe file from the laptop to the desktop.

It works! (I still wish I could get the latest stuff running... But I am back in action!!!!)

MML