SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By TSPRAP
Unfortunatly...no, though Olimex is in the works of making a STK500 compatible USB programmer thta will work with Studio.
By roach
Okay, not a problem. I'll just use AVRDude. The PG1B is mind-numbingly slloooowwww, though. I assume this is because it's a serial adapter, but is there any way to speed it up? I increased the baud rate on that COM port (in Windows Device Manager), but no effect. Any ideas?
By TSPRAP
The reason it is soo slow is because it is a bit-banged programmer. With the PGB-1 the serial port becomes just a couple of I/o and ponyprog has to run the serial port as somthing its not ment for. PonyProg makes a software SPI out of the serial port which...natrually is slower than the hardware SPI on the STK500
By roach
TSPRAP: In another thread you mentioned an STK500 emulating bootloader. Would this speed up the transfer? (I'm guessing yes, but I like to ask dumb questions...)
By TSPRAP
TSPRAP: In another thread you mentioned an STK500 emulating bootloader. Would this speed up the transfer? (I'm guessing yes, but I like to ask dumb questions...)
You'll have to program your AVR with this bootloader .hex then you just wire up your USART to a PC(make sure you do level conversion such as MAX232) and you won't need the PGB-1 anymore for thta AVR. Yes, programming with a bootloader is faster then the PGB-1, though you *can't* speed up the PGB-1 with the bootloader.
By roach
Then I guess I know what my next priority is (right after "Hello World").

thanks again!
By donblake
Here's an AVRprog compatible bootloader that I'm using. It's designed for the ATmega8. I'm using it with minimal modification with an ATmega16 (a JTAG ICE clone). I don't think it would take much work to modify it for an ATmeg128.

Don
By roach
Hi Don,

I think you forgot the link...
By andrey
I just wanted to mention that the official Atmel AVRISP MkII is a pretty good deal at $29. It works with AVR Studio (of course) and it's a proper ISP. Unfortunately it only has a 6-pin ICSP cable but you can make an adapter.