SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By William_Gaatjes
Hello everybody. I would hope if anyone can give me some confirmation.

I have a brand new but unused stk300 development board from Atmel. I got it when i entered a seminar from Atmel about the AVR ATMEGA103 in 1998. I played with it, but i never really used it.

I know that the ATMEGA128(L)(A) is a drop in replacement for the ATMEGA103. I am planning to change the ATMEGA103 with an ATMEGA128. (SMT soldering is a piece of cake for me at work :) ). Then the development kit is upgraded with an ATMEGA128.

The Kit i have uses an parallel port version of the STK300 programmer.

I looked around on the internet, and it seems that i can use this programmer with the software from kanda as a plug in for AVRstudio4. I have been looking around on the avrfreaks website and there i found some clues that it should work.
The entire kit (hardware and software) has been developed by kanda by the way.

But i would like some confirmation.
I am going to test everything afcourse but if it is a no go from the start, there is no use in trying. I am planning to give the development kit away to someone if it works.

My question thus is : Does the old parallel port version of the STK300 program the ATMEGA128.
If anyone uses this setup and is successful with it i would like to know. It would help a lot.

Thank you in advance.

Here is some music as gratitude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvfqrf9nZC0