SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By sm4rty
hello,

tried to flash h and l fuses

but i made a mistake

avrdude -p m8 -c sp12 -U lfuse:w:0xc9f:m -U hfuse:w:0xc9:m and now i cant flash it with my sp12 programmer anymore.

what can i do?
i flashed 2 chips and both dont recognize anymore

please help
By leon_heller
Use an external oscillator; something like a 555 will do, it isn't critical. You can then reset the fuses.
By sm4rty
hmm where can i get an oscillator?

is it possible to get it from old hardware?
or build it myself?

sorry i am a newbie in avr things.
tried it with a 14mhz crystal and an 100µF capacitor but didnt work :(

can you please describe what i have to do on which pins of the atmega8-16pu?

thank you verry much
By leon_heller
As I said, you can make one from a 555 chip. Or, find a suitable oscillator module or buy one if necessary. You'll find more details on the AVR Freaks forum.
By sm4rty
tried it with an 17Mhz crystal got it to be recognized 2 times but hadnt flashed it. today i wanted to flash the atmega8 but it will not be recognized.

is it possible that i have killed my atmega with the one Mhz more frequency? or that i killed my parallel port with a short circuit?
By leon_heller
If the fuses have been set for an external oscillator a crystal won't work. You need an actual oscillator to reset them.
By sm4rty
sorry i had blackout^^i meant a oscillator dont know why i wrote crystal.

its an 17Mhz oscillator which i connected to my atmega8 to the xtal1 (pin 9) and to pin 7 vcc and 8 GND.

i assume that its the right pinout and i used a 100µF capacitor so that it should run the atmega at 17Mhz but dont know if i made a mistake and produced a short cut or something.

i meassured the voltage and could it be a problem that the chip gets only 3.6V from the parallel port?
and thats the reason why it wont run with 17Mhz?

sorry for my bad english im from germany.

and its really difficult to ask something which you dont know ( i cant find the right words^^)
By sm4rty
i connected it like this picture:

but i dont have something with 1mhz.
hmm have to cut a few old hardware parts apart maybe i can find something
By n1ist
If you have another AVR available, you can program it with a program that just toggles an output pin, and use that as a clock source.
/mike