SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By papasmurf
Can't find a setup that works for this. I have tried a few methods but would like to see a step by step on how to get this to work.

I am using:
DC version of the boarduino from adafruit atmega328.
pololu usb avr programmer item #1300
ubuntu 10.04
arduino software 0017 or 0019 (tried both)

If someone has used the pololu for programming the Duemilanove (no bootloader) it should be the same setup. Can't find anything that works.

I have several projects that I have done with the standard Duemilanove using the atmega328. Can't find a way to get the arduino ide to see the pololu programmer, which is showing up as a device ttyACM0 and ttyACM1 and seems to be working as far as the OS is concerned.

Since I don't have the USB port or the FTDI 6-pin programmer, I have no way to know if the boarduino is working. I do have 2 boarduinos and I do a lot of surface mount soldering, so I am fairly confident that they were put together properly.

I have posted this on the pololu, arduino, and adafruit forums. It wasn't my first thought but, I have considered just getting the ftdi, but I would really like the extra room for programs.

Any help would be appreciated.
By papasmurf
got some help from another forum that did work in XP.

specifically.
#####
##Add this to the top of the boards.txt file.
#####
board328p.name=Boarduino
board328p.upload.using=avrispv2
board328p.upload.maximum_size=32768
board328p.build.mcu=atmega328p
board328p.build.f_cpu=16000000L
board328p.build.core=arduino
#####

#####
##Add this to the bottom of the programmers.txt file.
#####
avrispv2.name=AVR ISP v2
avrispv2.communication=serial
avrispv2.protocol=avrispv2
#####

and tell the arduino ide to write to com3 (Pololu usb AVR Programming Port) in hardware manager. Still no joy in Ubuntu. Tried linking the ttyACM0 to ttyS0 that the ide is looking for but I am pretty sure that is a one way link and I will have to play with that; just gives me errors. I am a few steps further than I was a day ago. Thanks for taking the time to help.