SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By sparwasser
Hi everybody,
I'm trying to read a program from a Sparkfun arduino mini pro with the command:
avrdude -c usbtiny -p m168 -U flash:r:program.hex:i
but the result is:

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check

I try with the -F the result is:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m168 -U flash:r:program.hex:i -F

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06

avrdude done. Thank you.

The same way I try with an italian Arduino Mini and it works, I can read the program inside and save the .hex file, but with the Mini Pro of the Sparkfun it fails, it's a little different, but the programming pins are the same. Any suggestion?

Thanks
By thebecwar
avrdude -c usbtiny -p m168 -U flash:r:program.hex:i
The -p flag is for setting which chipset you're trying to flash. -p m168 is for the ATmega168. Is that the chip on the device? The product page for the pro mini from sparkfun says that it's the 328 not the 168.

The -F flag just forces avrdude to ignore the chip's signature and try to upload anyway. The flashing could fail anyway for any number of reasons.

Also you probably want to double (or triple, quadruple, etc) check the connections to your programmer. Ignore the footprint and just look specifically at the silkscreen layer on the board to make your connections. Make sure that your programmer is appropriate for the logic voltage of the pro mini you have (3.3v or 5v).
By sparwasser
Upon the chip there is written: "Atmlel Atmega168V 10AU 0921"
my programmer is an UsbTinyIsp and it works fine with the Arduino Mini, reads and writes without any problem.
I have tried soldering the programmig cable on the board to be sure to have a good connection, but with the same result.
Loking at the board the programming pins are in the same position of the Arduino Mini and following the Sparkfun programming link for the Arduino Pro Mini you will find that it's the same programming page of the Arduino Mini, with the same pictures. A professional should solve this problem easily, but unfortunately I'm not. :oops:
how can I understand if it's 5 or 3,3 v? there is nothing written upon the board: :oops: I hope you would help me again.
Thank you