SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By mblue
I an unable to program my Arduino Pro Mini
It is a "Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5V/16MHz" and I have the "Arduino Serial USB Board".
Both of these were purchased in the past couple of months, so I believe they are the newest models.
Between the 2 boards, I have grounds connected together, V+ connected together, TX to RX, and RX to TX.
When the Pro Mini powers up, the pin 13 led turns on/off once then on/off several times fast then it is off.
In the IDE the error that I ALWAYS get is "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding".
I have tried many combinations of clicking on the "Upload" button, and pressing reset on the Mini..
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
By sfe_kav
you need connecting DTR pin of usb serial to pro-mini and all will be ok.
Look at FTDI bassic brakeout from SF it hase same pinout as pro-mini.
By justinlevi
I don't have an FTDI cable yet, but I do have a RS232 Shifter SMD (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=449) and a usb to serial adapter.

Would i be possible to program the mini using the usb to serial and the RS232 Shifter? If so, would I need an external 5V power supply to both the RS232 Shifter and the Mini? What would the RS232 Shifter RX/TX pins hook up to on the mini? Does the RS232 Shifter supply 5V on it's own?

*edit - The RS232 Shifter does not supply 5V, but I still am not sure if its possible to program the mini in this way.

Ordered a FTDI cable, but I'm impatient and just wondering.

Thanks.
By sfe_kav
without FTDI you can use any usb->serial:

connect rx,tx,ground and power(3.3V or 5V)

before programming press reset button and than very fast as posible program your mini using IDE

you has less than 1 second after pressing reset button.

dtr signal of ftdi connected to reset, so you can start bootloader by pressing reset)))
By firestarter
mblue,

I'm hoping to find out if you were ever able to figure this out. I found the thread through a forum search because I am considering buying a Pro Mini as well, but if there are installation issues I might back off and go another direction. Right now a majority of my experience has been with moisture products so I am trying to branch out a little bit. Have you heard of wagner meters?