SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By ashkax
Hi,
I have the same problem as henrik told you guys.
I cannot get the avr studio to connect to the board.
Here is the deal:
:arrow: got the usb avr jtag ice.
:arrow: installed the driver and configured it on port 2.
:arrow: connected the usb jtag ice to computer with a usb cable.
on the other side, i connect the jtag ice to ATMEL BUTTERFLY using the cable provided with the usb jtag ice. I made sure the pins mach ( the pins are soldered on back of the butterfly....).
:arrow: Then, I connect external power( provided by an adaptor), to the board.. it has voltage of 4 volts.
:arrow: Then goto AVR studio and try to connect to the thing.. ( I have tried both auto and com2) ....
It gives me the errro... Also, in non of the steps above the LED on the jtag ice comes on...
What do you guys suggest? :?: :!: :?: :!:

I would like to mention that, the usb cable that i used, I bought it, like a year ago. However, I checked the voltages on the USB JTAG ICE to see if its powered up by usb, and it was...
By sparky
DOA's can be returned to us for inspection. Please email me directly - spark at sparkfun.com

-Nathan
By ashkax
Hi nathan,
I'm not sure if its dead... Maybe i have done something wrong, somewhere... I'm fairely new to atmel and jtag ice, thats why i'm asking here....
Did you read my procedure? Was that right ?

If I can't make it work,i'll contact you...
Spark fun, is one of the best companies to deal with.
I appriciate, and Thank you very much,

Ashkan
By TSPRAP
Where did you apply power to?
If you applied power to the Butterfly it won't work. The VCC connection on the butterfly(JTAG Connection) is NOT connected to power so that the JTAG will not drain the Battery. You will have to supply a second power directly to the JTAG.
Page 19 of the Data-Sheet explains better.
By ashkax
hi,
very good point... I tottally, neglected that point.
The reason, was, I believed that, USB JTAG get the power from, usb, not the board...
I'll try to provide the board, with power... One on the port B, and one on the port D. To see if works or not...
May I ask, you were considering the usb jtag or the normal serial one?
Thanks for the reply.
By ashkax
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much man...
It is now working like a charm.... I'm so excited...
I was like, this this is either going to work tonight, or,i'm going to change my major from engineering to medicine or biology... :)))
( Just kidding... ) :))
Anywayz, thank you so much,,, I knew, I was doing something wrong, somewhere, I just couldn't figure it out...
Thank you again,